Performance increase advice needed

GreenAdam

Reaction score
I have a new 22' SSL with a 115 HP Merc outboard and we love the boat. We've been pulling the kids on a tube quite a bit and often end up with 4 adults, a few kids, and a couple dogs onboard (heavy) and I often find myself looking for a little more performance. I'm considering what my options are.

With just me on board, a pretty full tank of gas, and smooth water, my GPS app says that I'm hitting 30-31 MPH. With 4 adults and a dog onboard today while pulling 2 kids on a tube in moderately rough water, I was only able to hit 21 MPH. Just not enough to be really fun for them.

This boat has (2) 25" pontoons on it right now. It does not have full length lifting strakes like I've seen on other pontoons.

What realistic options do I have to improve on what I've got? Would adding a third pontoon and underdeck shielding (like the ESP package) be possible and would I get an improvement worth the money? Should I just bail on the 115 and go to a 150 (max my boat is rated for) - knowing this is going to cost big $$$? Do the lifting strakes make that much difference - and if so, can these even be added after the fact??

I'm realistic enough to know that I'm not going to turn this boat into a 45 MPH beast by spending a couple hundred bucks, but I would love to hear what suggestions people have for me. I'm willing to spend a little money, but trading this one in on a new boat isn't a real option for me (wife would SHOOT ME).

Thanks in advance.

GreenAdam,

It takes a combination of things to get the top performance out of a pontoon! The 150 Mercury would get you a few MPH's and give you a little more torque (ability to pull tubes/skiers) Lifting Strakes would make the boat plane faster, a little more speed and help with heaver loads (passengers) under power. The bigggest improvement would be to add a third tube. You would gain more speed, better ride, better boat performance. If you added all three 150 Mercury, 3rd tube & lifting strakes would would have a performance setup with speeds in the low 40's mph! If it's in your budget and possible to do I would add a 3rd tube, Lots of factors to consider, is the 115 Mercury shaft long enough to work with a 3rd tube? I have heard the cost for a 3rd tube can run from $3K to $5K. One other thing a 3rd tube would have a better resale.

Just my thoughts,

RiverBill

Greenadam........this is the same exact problem that Kaydano is going through......Look up his thread under "Pontoon forum" , Help me pick a prop.........

Greenadam........this is the same exact problem that Kaydano is going through......Look up his thread under "Pontoon forum" , Help me pick a prop.........
Thanks, guys. I'll have a look at this other thread as well.

Back