Polished pontoons

Dan S

Reaction score
My boat has been built. I was unaware that the dealer was offering free sharkhide during their spring early order period so mine is coming with it. Is it possible to polish tubes with sharkhide on it or should I wait a couple of years? The dealer said if they're polished, they get a lot of water spots and end up not looking very good. Any thoughts on that? He also said not to use an acid based cleaner on them whether they're polished or not. He said they end up sort of having a white-ish look to them if you do. I think I'd like to get them polished($500) Because they should be easier to clean in the fall and they might be also be less likely to attract lake grime and algae in the first place. Maybe a speed benefit too? I'd like your thoughts please.

Thanks,

Dan

You MUST remove the Sharkhide with lacquer thinner BEFORE polishing. There are numerous threads on here for polishing.  I spent a ton of time last spring on mine.  So polish them first, then apply the Sharkhide.

Once you've had sharkhide on your toons are you stuck in a forever re-application process every 2-3 years? What is the black mark problem I read about in one post?

Well once you polish them yes you DO want to apply Sharkhide every 2 years to ensure they don't fade.  This keeps them from oxidizing like they will (naturally) without Sharkhide.  Again, Sharkhide will NOT polish them.  It's only a protectant to KEEP them looking shiny. 

Not sure about the black mark problem.

What cleaner would you use in the fall to remove the algae, etc.? Acid or ?

Honestly, since I've been using Sharkhide I haven't needed to use a cleaner in the fall.  I take the boat directly from the lake (so the toons are still wet) to a car wash and use their power washer (I have my own but heck, may as well leave all the mess somewhere else) and the scum from the season comes off effortlessly with the power washer. 

Keith, that sounds great to me. Eaaaasssy.

thanks

This is an interesting topic and I have a question.

Is there a product aside from Shark Hide that will allow you to spruce up the pontoons on an annual basis. A marine polish and protectant that works on aluminum as well as fiberglass? I have no interest in doing the Shark Hide thing and I'm not going to polish the toons to a mirror finish. I do, however, want to wander around the boat with a light buffing/cleaning wax if that would do the deed.

Any thoughts??

No, not considering Shark Hide.

Really!

:rolleyes:

I can polish my toons once per year in just over an hour.  That's with a 6" wool bonnet on a Porter Cable dual action sander/polisher and White Diamond metal polish from Advance Auto Parts..

I tried to clean the polished toons with lacquer cleaner, however black aluminum oxide was in all cracks and the welding slag.  The black junk gets into the Sharkhide and simply makes a mess.

Why would I want to spend 10 hours or more cleaning toons when I can just do a quick and easy polishing once per year?

If you have Sharkhide toons, let them be as they are.  Deal with re-Sharkhiding when absolutely necessary.

Back