Port Side Spray/Wake Issue (Need Help!) - Wouldn’t allow the video to upload...

Cjenneke70

Reaction score
Need some help identifying an issue I’m realizing with my brand new Benny - R27 Tritoon w/twin Evinrude 300’s. Each pontoon is a 32” elliptical with lifting strakes. Additionally, I also have Sea Legs installed on the pontoon.

Question:

The video is an example of the issue I’m having with excessive spray/wake on the port side of the pontoon once on plane and at higher speeds. This issue happens over roughly 90% of the time at high speed. I’ve noticed that during the 10% of the time it doesn’t happen, my top speed is between 53-58 mph. Otherwise, when the issues is present, my top speed is between 43-45 mph. I have no understanding of what condition would change to allow for the 10% since I’m not doing anything different with the boat and the water conditions are the same. Any ideas?

This is what I’ve sent to my dealer and Bennington, but haven’t heard anything back and it’s been over 3 weeks.

Port Side Tube/Wake: As stated, when you dropped the boat off during delivery and I drove off, there was a massive port side spray/wake at high speed. Jim, from the marina watched me drive off that first day and said it didn’t look right. At first, I thought it was weight distribution (too much on the port side); however, when I move the weight evenly it still continues to happen. I then discovered that I’ve been getting excessive water in the port tube, but not the center or starboard tubes. I run all three bilge pumps on “auto” during operation to ensure no water is being held; as well as, I tightened all plugs. There’s no damage (scratches/punctures) to the port tube as I can get the boat out of the water with the Sea Legs so I’m perplexed as to how/where the water is getting in or if this is the reason for the large portside spray/wake. I’m not dragging anything and the Sea Legs are fully up as well when operating. There is nothing visual that I can tell as to why it appears this is happening or what could be causing it. The spray/wake on the port side (at full speed) is roughly 8’ to 10’ high and sprays outward roughly 10’ to 15’, while the starboard side has minimal spray/wake.

Attachments

• A237BDB9-4980-463A-A4D9-AAE6A5FA3083.jpeg
    A237BDB9-4980-463A-A4D9-AAE6A5FA3083.jpeg
    142.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 8BDB1140-BF1B-4A57-89C1-BA7B29DA774E.jpeg
    8BDB1140-BF1B-4A57-89C1-BA7B29DA774E.jpeg
    187.1 KB · Views: 58
I'm no help with your situation but that is a sweet boat.

Can you adjust the trim on each motor independently? Is it possible the port side is trimmed higher than starboard? Trim sensor wire loose causing the motors to occasionally "think" they are set the same when they aren't? Might explain the extra spay height.
Same with steering angle, is it possible they aren't synced with each other, could explain the outward spray.

I'm no help with your situation but that is a sweet boat.

Can you adjust the trim on each motor independently? Is it possible the port side is trimmed higher than starboard? Trim sensor wire loose causing the motors to occasionally "think" they are set the same when they aren't? Might explain the extra spay height.
Same with steering angle, is it possible they aren't synced with each other, could explain the outward spray.
No expert here but I am just wild guessing but if engines are not both aligned parallel with steering linkages, It would be like a road vehicle with too much toe in or toe out and engines would be losing straight line efficiencies. Did they mount them on same set of bolt holes height wise? Do they have same trim angle visually? Hope it helps

Again no help to your situation but something I've wondered about the twin engine toons.

If you are cruising WOT and the port engine suddenly dies does the boat quickly and violently turn to port? Is there some type of safety that if one engine dies the other turns off? Other multi engine boats the engines are closer to center so it wouldn't be as noticeable if one died. On a toon they're spread far apart and on the outside of the boat.

I’d say bug your dealer a little more. Typically, and I’m not trying to be a smart ass, but if you have a problem with your new car, you don’t work through the manufacturer, but through the dealer, until you’ve exhausted that avenue. In this day and age, we rely on email communication too much. Pick up the phone, or walk in to your dealer and discuss. It could be a simple trim issue, but if you are getting water in an outer toon, the dealer needs to addresss it.

I am a retired crew chief for Fountian Powerboats offshore racing division with 2 national championships and 2 world championships in APBA and SuperBoat Racing. I suspect the problem is that your motors are not trimmed the same angle when you trim the boat at speed. Most boats have two trim indicators and they are not matched to each other. While the indicators might show they are equal in trim angle of the motors on the gauge they are not the same. This is easy to check when the boat is on the trailer. With the trailer on flat parking lot Trim both motors down them trim both out midway on the trim gauge (do this from down to up), then use a angle finder on the motor cavation plate and read the angle then go to the other motor and on the other cavation plate on the other motor read that angle they should match. If they do not the trim indicators need to be to match when the motors are at the same angle.

Back