Power Steering options?

Tozyp

Reaction score
I noticed on my build sheet, there are 2 Power Steering options selected. ----- I ordered a 2250 GSR w/ Yamaha 150, due in a few weeks.

900438 Power Assist Steering (Expect turning with little effort)

and

900033 Sea Star Hydraulic Steering (Expect Two-Handed turn in hard turns)

Do these options work in tandem with each other? They're both listed on my Build sheet. They seem to be advertised as two levels of steering capability?

I could ask my dealer this question, but it is far more entertaining to ask here! You guys are Great!

Thanks, Tom

teleflex-hc5345-seastar-marine-steering-cylinder_6321830.jpg

Yes, you need the SeaStar Hydraulic first, which is the absolute minimum for a 150. The Power Assist is then used in conjunction with the SeaStar Hydraulic to provide no effort power steering. You'll be glad you have it!

Yes, you have to have both for power steering. Some people get only the hydraulic steering, which really doesn't do anything to help you "turn" it simple makes it easy to hold once you've turned it. Is a fairly basic explanation. You want both, it's the "bestest!" hehe

I aggree, I wouldn't have another boat without it.

My boat has SeaStar hydraulic steering only. It steers easily up to 32 mph. At higher speeds, it's a little difficult to steer. But realistically, I seldom do tight turns when I crank it up.

Someone that boats in tight rivers or pulls skiers and tubers in tight turns would possibly need the Power Steering. Our lake is wide. If you were going with 175 horsepower and above, you would also need power steering assist.

The power steering pump and hoses cost about $2K after the fact plus labor to install it. You'd also need to install a second battery and a Perko battery switch to isolate the batteries (from each other.). That's a $2.5K addition to the price.

I would say try out just the hydraulic steering system, and see if it suits your lifestyle. If you really need power steering, you can add it later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Bamaman,

Yes, it is quite an expensive option. Thanks for your explanation. I never thought that power steering would be required as I've only had smaller engines in the past.

This 150hp engine will be a new experience for me.

I wonder if this power steering upgrade from the factory will automatically equip the boat with dual batteries? I do remember seeing dual batteries listed on the option list but never thought much about it.

Thanks again, Tom

It works fine with 1 battery as that's all I have. Nice to have 2 but not necessary.

Back