Prop testing and break in

lakeliving

Reaction score
So how does the dealer prop test when there is a break in period? Cruise for the first hour then hit full throttle? Just curious.

I doubt that many dealers got to the lake to prop test a pontoon boat.  Many dealers know from past experience exactly what prop is best.  Some just bet the customers will accept the performance as they prop it.   Bennington knows which props are best on specific boat/motor combos for most customers' uses--if the dealer calls them.

And it's doubtful that any boat dealer will start the boat, let it warm up, and run it at low rpm's for 2 hours before they throw the throttle to it.  I wouldn't want the dealer going to the lake without me on any 4 stroke motor especially.

My dealer put a M14 Yamaha stainless prop on my F150, and I was up against the 6300 rpm rev limiter @ 36 mph.  I asked for a Reliance 15 pitch prop, and gained 4 mph and lost 300 rpm's to 6000 rpm's--just right.  Had I not been reading this forum, I would have not known to ask for the correct prop.

He is fitting ours with the 15 per my request but said we could swap out for a 17 if that works better. I knew of the suggestions from bennington and trust they are spot on.

The GPS speedometer and the tachometer tell what's right for you.  After the initial break in with the engine trimmed up (and the nosecones out of the water), if you're much over 6000 rpm's at full throttle with a couple of people and 1/2 tank of gas, go to the 17 pitch.

They lake tested my SLX last year and they are lake testing My RCW this year .

Last year they did try 3 different props before I took delivery .

They do it in short bursts. They do not follow the break in procedure. I asked to see my readout from the ECM after my boat puked on its self, they asked me why. I said the first few minuets on it were not my doings and I want it documented. Everything was covered under warranty so I did not get a copy. But how else are they going to tell me how fast they got the boat to go when I get it with .1 hours on it? Unhook the hour meter? Holy crap! I just thought of something! Is that how you can go back in time? Drive your boat backwards to take hours off?

It only works if your going 88 in reverse.

Back