Propeller question

Manitowish1

Reaction score
Took the new Benny for a ride yesterday. It is a 2550 RBR with a Verado 250 Pro running an Enertia prop with a 16 pitch. I had 5 on board running in pretty smooth water. With the motor trimmed all the way down I was running about 39-40MPH. Since it was the maiden shake down run with the dealer I did not have much of a chance to mess around trimming the motor. I thought I should be running faster so maybe I need to change the pitch.

Thoughts?

For info on correctly propping your engine you should have a look at the following post: http://www.veradoclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=137.0

Some bullet points to consider:

*** Make sure you follow the break in procedure from the manual for your engine. For a Verado it may be a bit different than you may be used to. ***

- Selecting a final prop for a Verado should wait until after you have a minimum of 20 hours on the engine.

- You will need to ensure that you have your engine height set correctly before you worry about getting the correct prop.

- Prop selection should be based on your RPM while trimmed at WOT.

Good luck!

I agree, wait till it's broken in and then trim it to get the optimum speed @ Wot and go from there.

Awesome thread FarNorth, thanks for the link!

Took the new Benny for a ride yesterday. It is a 2550 RBR with a Verado 250 Pro running an Enertia prop with a 16 pitch. I had 5 on board running in pretty smooth water. With the motor trimmed all the way down I was running about 39-40MPH. Since it was the maiden shake down run with the dealer I did not have much of a chance to mess around trimming the motor. I thought I should be running faster so maybe I need to change the pitch.

Thoughts?
My 22' with 250 Pro is starting out with a 19 pitch Enertia, though I think I'll go 18. It was 49.5mph gps at 6100rpm with trim out to 3 or so, 2 onboard, 3/4 tank of 55gal tank. It was windy and rough, so I think 50 should be within reach.

I'd think at least a 17 pitch should be right on for yours. What you DON'T want to do with the V-rod is load it down so it only maxes at 5700-5800, as it's harder on the motor, per Merc. Top rpm is 6400 so 6200 or so is just right at max.

I should have added I followed the break in routine from VeradoClub.com exactly and am now at 6 hrs. You'll find you blow through gas in a hurry at full song WOT one minute for every 10 min! It's just not something I'd normally do but there are good reasons.

Thank's Tom for the info on both threads. I hear you on the fuel consumption on WOT, but based on my brief experiences from yesterday it seems like breaking it in under WOT is going to be a blast. Glad to hear that you think 50MPH is within reach. While I don't plan on running 50MPH, I like knowing that I can if I want to.

BTW, Paul delivered my Mid America trailer yesterday. I got the same set up as what you did, just a 26 instead of 24. I have got to say glad I went with this set up, one of the nicest toon trailers I have ever seen, and at a very reasonable cost. I like the "booty-bump" in the back for the elliptical and motor.

Back