Proper engine RPM (7,200?????)

jmermis

Reaction score
I have a 22 ft SSI with Eliptical Sport Package. The engine is a 150 Yamaha 4 stroke model F150 TLR. The boat was set up by the dealer but I have now moved it to my lake house 12 hours away. Wide open the boat is doing about 45 mph with the Tach reading 7,200 RPM. I am told that the motor RPM cut out should kick in and that this should not happen. The limiter does not kick in????? and the other explanation I get is that the Tachometer is set up incorrectly. I understand that going inside the console there is something on the tach to set it up for my engine. Can you give me some suggestions.

Also can you give me some prop ideas for the most efficient prop size and pitch etc.

Holeshot ????????

Maximum speed ???????

Fuel efficient ???????

Thanks

jmermo2004

Bring that puppy in for service.

Also, do not exceed 6000rpm

Wow, 45 mph with a 150hp yamaha is impressive. But I'm with Eric. I wouldn't exceed 6000 rpm and you should have a dealer look at it.

There are dip switches on the back of the tach, it sounds like it is set wrong. Been a while but there are 3 or 4 settings depending on engine arangement 4 cyl 6 cyl ect..IIRC the owners manual tells how they should be set according to what engine you have. I think my 150 yama will only free rev to around 6500ish in neutral so that tells me the tach is incorrect.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see your 12 hrs away from the dealer. Try calling the dealer and have him walk you through resetting the tach. Is the 45 mph GPS? I have the same package and the best I've seen is 38 mph.

Back