Radio Reception

mtudb24

Reaction score
Anybody else here get horrible AM/FM (especially AM) reception on their Sony Radios?

I plan on picking up a external antenna to plug in this week.

All my other friends boat can pull all the AM and FM stations and I probably get 1/3 of the stations they get

Thanks

Todd

I haven't tried AM stations but I get horrible reception on FM at the lake. I've gone almost exclusively to Pandora radio from my iPhone plugged into the input jack.

We don't have that many stations here in the wild wild west anyway. So, I use a Skydock for the iPhone. You can move it from vehicle to boat very easily. All you really need is the little satellite antennae for each place you want to use it. It works great.

Hey Todd, if you look under the helm, you will find a ribbon style antenna already hooked up. It is zip tied to the other wiring, i cut mine loose and sometimes when we're in a secluded cove i pull it out and drape it across the helm. That works for us, but satellite radio can't be beat!

I too have not tried AM. FM works most of the time with my Sony M1 head unit. I mostly run the wife's iphone in the auxiliary plug or use my portable XM radio receiver.

Will

If you want better AM/FM radio reception, you really have no choice but to use an aftermarket antenna.

It's not so much the Bennington antenna being bad, although it isn't really all that great, it's more to do with the geographical location of most lakes, relative to the urban centers where the stations are.

Personally, I just use my Sirius/XM radio. I really can't stand commercial radio anyway.

Thanks everyone for the help. Ill get a aftermarket one incase pulling the factory one away doesn't work.

thanks again

Todd

Back