Replacement Cover - Various Brands

StilesYYZ

Reaction score
I purchased a 2012 2575 QCW last year (first boat - took it out a few times, and it's amazing). It had <80hrs on it (legit), and was in excellent condition. The only exception was the cover - it was 12yrs old, and had become brittle.

I'm looking to replace it. Local shops are charging around $2500USD but need the boat delivered/picked-up (etc). I called Tumacs, and they quoted $2200USD (and had a faster turn-around time), however I would have to do the snaps myself - so I am guessing that that would work-out to $2500USD all-in, once my time/tools are factored-in.

Three questions:

- The local canvas shop swears by Sunbrella. Bennington (and Tumacs) no longer use Surlast, and have offered EcoElite material (or Sunbrella for a 30% upcharge). From what I read on this forum, Sunbrella and Surlast seem to be generally acceptable - but nobody has commented on EcoElite (and I can't find much online either). Can anyone provide some advice?

- When I order a new cover, are there any options/upgrades I should request? I have heard of people adding zippered access 'flaps' for side/front entry (i.e. lining-up with the swing-gates). Also, I will probably add new support poles just because they are a cheap add-on, and I have misplaced one of the old ones already... Just curious if there is anything else I should consider?

Many thanks to everyone in advance!

From past experience with both, I would get the sunbrella. When I had a custom one made for my RCW ,I had an opening in the stern with Velcro , a few other spots were reinforced, windscreen area and where my bumper hangers were installed .

IF the $2500 quote with a local shop includes making it Sunbrella, I’d go that route. Drop it off, let them do their thing, and pick it up done and ready to go. The cost differential as you noted might evaporate going Tumacs and doing yourself IF you stick with their new fabric. If you switch up, and factor in the up charge, then you’re paying more than local.

Local is going to custom make and fit everything, and likely will be a cleaner & better overall job for the same or less money…especially if that original quote included Sunbrella. I should have a replacement cover coming under warranty, but if not for it being warranty, I’d go local and Sunbrella if I had to pay out of pocket.

Thanks for your input!

A quick update. I spoke with Tumacs and asked them for info on their 'new' material (i.e. they no longer offer Sunbrella or Surlast), and they sent me the following link. I have never heard of Solution7 (aka Ecolite), but here is the link and specs if anyone (with more knowledge than me!) would like to comment on it:

Specs:

• 100% Solution Dyed polyester
• High UV, mold & mildew resistant
• Excellent tear and abrasion resistance
• Safe to use with all high-end marine materials
• Excellent dimensional stability
• 5-year limited warranty

Back