Rocker Switches getting hot

CTays

Reaction score
My boat only has around 37 hours on it. We have been out a few times in the afternoon where I had to use the nav lights. This past Friday night we were out past dark for about 30 minutes. After I got docked and went to shut of the nav lights I noticed the rocker switch was a little hot to the touch. The acc switch on the radio and the depth finder was also a little warm. It was not so hot you could not hold your finger on it but close. I mentioned it to the dealer and he said it should not be getting hot. I am going to have him take a look at it. The wiring under the dash and running to the lights felt fine. I thought it might just be the leds in the rocker switch. Has anyone else noticed this or had this issue?

I had the same thing happen yesterday.  Had the acc switch on for the radio and echo 100 and it was hot to the touch.  The other switchs were warm from the sun but not hot. 

I will post the result when the dealer checks it out. This could be normal but I feel it is a little too hot for just led ligths to cause.

Are you sure they are leds? Might be bulbs.

On mine the switches with a single indicator get warm after being on for awhile, and if out at night and have the nav and anchor lights on, that switch has two indicators, that one gets pretty hot. I believe they are just standard bulbs in them. I have not worried about them, just figured it was from the bulbs. My last boat did the same thing.

The switches are bulbs. This appears to be normal. I have checked with several of the other Bennington owners at the marina and thier lights do the same thing. I checked all of the wiring and the switch housing on the back side when the top of the rocker was hot and found no issue. It was cool to the touch. Guess I got a little worried for no reason.

Back