SALT WATER LIFT

WGWtrolley

Reaction score
Hello, I have a month old 2013 2275 GCW in Florida salt water---when I had my lift converted to my pontoon, the local company put carpeting on the boards.Recently I have heard bare boards or rubber strips should be used because the carpeting holds the salt water which will eventually deteriorate the 'toons'. Is this true? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say it would not hurt. I'm assuming the toons are "painted" but if it were me, I'd go to nylon slides like used on trailers, but see if they have them slotted for drainage. I definitely would not want carpet under mine !!!

Do you have the "Saltwater Series" ?

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on what Smitty said.

The lift should not have carpet. The carpet will hold salt water and cause corrosion between the carpet and pontoon.

My boat came from brackish water and even though it was kept really clean the evidence of salt are everywhere. Looking back, I will never buy another boat that has been in brackish or salt water. Steve

PLEASE READ: Use PLASTIC TREAD trailer bunks and/or lift bunks in brackish or salt water environments. Carpeting absorbs the salt and your aluminum pontoons would then sit in it, a big NO NO. The plastic treads divert the saltwater away from the pontoons. (TB didn't know anyone still used carpet, hmmm)

Back