Seasonal Docking Question

hds9995

Reaction score
Hi Fellow Tooners,
I have an opportunity to rent a seasonal dock slip on a small lake in the Finger Lakes, NY. It is a small 50 boat slip marina/restaurant, lake is 8 miles long, 1 mile wide.
The slip I'm being offered is at the end of the dock, on the outside portion of the "T".
In other words, one side of my boat will be tied to the dock, the other side exposed to the lake (parallel to the shore).
Would I be exposing my boat to a beating given the fact that one side of the boat is exposed to the lake with no dock or other boat breaking the wakes and waves?

Thank's for your feedback..
Chris

Hey Chris welcome to the forum. Are the slips in a No Wake zone or are there boats flying around creating huge wakes/waves with no regard to the boats slipped there?

I’m on end slip. Big bumpers .... couple extra lines. Going on year 7.

Being on the end you will also not have anyone attempting to dock beside you. There could be some advantages to an end dock.

No wake speed within 100 feet of the shoreline, any watercraft, pier, person, raft, swimming area, and swimmers.

But we all know there are ( I am going to be polite ) "people " that dont care .
Is the dock permanent or floating ? Something else to consider ,floating dock is also going to move with the waves/wake .
We were at a floating dock for our 1st season and a half .We hated it

Last edited:
Another concern you might have is the side of the lake the marina is located. Would you be facing the predominant direction of approaching storms?

Hey there all you Captains..
Thank you for all your input. I'll need to do homework on some of your questions, but great information. There are no "No Wake "signs that I noticed, but of course there is "polite people" out there. The lake runs North/South, the docks are on the true west side of the lake, about 6-7 miles south down the lake. I'm hoping I don't need to worry about damage so much because i should be out on the lake!!lol.
Oh, and at the other end of the dock is a nice Cabana with 33 degree refreshments!!
Thank you again,
Chris

Good luck. I’d think being on the west side of the lack in the north will prove helpful on mitigating some storm wind at your marina. Always worse on the east side of a lack in the north due to everything normally blowing west to east.

Being on the end you will also not have anyone attempting to dock beside you. There could be some advantages to an end dock.

Another reason we like the end, I don't have to worry about a neighbor (or myself) on a windy day ....

Back