Seat pedestal

As I said Bruce, I wasn't being rude or a jerk, but I dealt with a LOT of t-nuts when I manages a furniture store for quite some time, although they are decent, better than screws, they are NOT as good as a nut,bolt, and a couple of washers. They strip out if not properly inserted the first time and with the chance and likelihood that the wood gets wet also weaken their holding power. Better than screws, but not the best. Don't get me wrong, I would be passed off in your situation as well. My boat sits on my trailer in my driveway 96% of the time and I wouldn't want to try and have to do it. But we also can't fault Bennington because they used the best fastening devices either.

Oh and as for the engine pulling bit, I know what you mean, I had an 87 Jimmy 4x4 and that was how ya changed the starter. But here is a better one, father-in-law had a Mercury Sable Wagon with the lit up grill, light burnt out, they were gonna have to pull the rad and fan I believe to change it. Father-in-law said not to bother and traded it in.

Derrick

My boat does not have the underskinning. I was under it a lot last weekend thrilling out on the new Sea-Legs. Part of that time I was pressure washing the inside of the toons, part of the time planning cable routing for a second battery. Part of it filming the existing cable routes etc for future use. I did not see through bolts for the pedestal. I cannot see Bennington installing the 6 bolt pedestal through the deck with Phillips head bolts and nuts and washers underneath. Talk about labor intensive - it's a two man install and un-install. I will verify on Friday.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a '11 20SLi, so it may not be the same as yours, but i have added underskinning, it looks to me on my boat, the easiest way to get to the bolts would be to remove the outer wave shield, drill out 4 rivets, remove the shield, plenty of room to get your hand in there with a wrench.

Take another look at yours from the outside and see if that would work?

I have a '11 20SLi, so it may not be the same as yours, but i have added underskinning, it looks to me on my boat, the easiest way to get to the bolts would be to remove the outer wave shield, drill out 4 rivets, remove the shield, plenty of room to get your hand in there with a wrench.

Take another look at yours from the outside and see if that would work?
If thru bolted, that would allow getting a wrench on the nuts, but you'd still need someone up on deck with a phillips head screwdriver on the corresponding bolt.

med_gallery_1279_123_2367814.jpg

Well, sure, but i would rather my seat be bolted down with stainless bolts, washers and nylock nuts than #8 wood screws.

Same with the underskin and wave shields. Self tapping screws would work, maybe, or perhaps some zuess fastners? I have a friend who lost part of his underskin this summer, self tapping screws broke off, it was not pretty. 12k in damage. [bentley]

Really, Bennington builds the boat to be solid and never considered the seat or underskin as a removable item.

Yes, that makes working with them a bit more difficult, but that's just the way it is if you don't want your stuff coming apart while underway

Well, sure, but i would rather my seat be bolted down with stainless bolts, washers and nylock nuts than #8 wood screws.

Same with the underskin and wave shields. Self tapping screws would work, maybe, or perhaps some zuess fastners? I have a friend who lost part of his underskin this summer, self tapping screws broke off, it was not pretty. 12k in damage. [bentley]

Really, Bennington builds the boat to be solid and never considered the seat or underskin as a removable item.

Yes, that makes working with them a bit more difficult, but that's just the way it is if you don't want your stuff coming apart while underway
I understand building the boat solid. There are a few things that people change on Pontoons after purchase More stereo, LED lights. But with the range of people sizes it would be nice to replace the helm seat pedestal to customize it to your taste. Mount the base solid but give us a way to replace it. Maybe a ring with mounted locknuts screwed to the underside of the decking. I am sure that if Bennington put their engineers on it there is a cost effective mounting method to allow us to customize our boats. It might save some production labor and would save warranty labor cost. How much has Bennington paid dealers to replace the adjustable seat pedestal they no longer use?

I understand building the boat solid. There are a few things that people change on Pontoons after purchase More stereo, LED lights. But with the range of people sizes it would be nice to replace the helm seat pedestal to customize it to your taste. Mount the base solid but give us a way to replace it. Maybe a ring with mounted locknuts screwed to the underside of the decking. I am sure that if Bennington put their engineers on it there is a cost effective mounting method to allow us to customize our boats. It might save some production labor and would save warranty labor cost. How much has Bennington paid dealers to replace the adjustable seat pedestal they no longer use?
Then there still the problem of bolt holes not matching up, what if I want a different brand than Springfield and their mounting plate is different? Then I would still have to go through the trouble of the underskinning removal and what not. As I said, I can TOTALLY understand your aggravation, but it is also silly for them to spend a bunch of money researching and developing a way to change something that probably 98% of their customers will never do.

Derrick

But it's that 10 percent. B)

But it's that 10 percent. B)
Hmmm Carl, I think you're probably smarter than me, but according to my math, that leaves 2%. Haha just bugging, I know what your saying.

Derrick

Hmmm Carl, I think you're probably smarter than me, but according to my math, that leaves 2%. Haha just bugging, I know what your saying.

Derrick
I misread your post. It happens to the over 60 crowd. B)

Ok, I am wrong. Seat pedestals are attached with nylock nuts, washers, and Phillips head bolts. When I looked before, I expected to see a circular pattern of bolts. Turns out 4 of the six are on one side of a beam, and two are on the other. Well almost on the other - they are actually going through the flat part of the beam. Kind of broke up the circular pattern I was looking for.

chairbolts1.jpg

chairbolts2.jpg

I found a Springfield height adjustable pedestal on Clearance at Defender. My Bennie is in the shop, I couldn't measure the height of the existing pedestal, so I took a risk. This one adjusts from 10" - 13" on sale for $55:

650715.jpg

http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|619045|1970779&id=2015715
Nope, no good, it goes back. Not only didn't the base align with the bolt holes, (9" versus 10" base), but the pole of the pedestal was not the right size for the seat base mechanism. (2 3/8 versus 2 7/8") My search continues. One thing, 10 - 13" is about right. My stock seat height is 8" from seat base to deck.

Nope, no good, it goes back. Not only didn't the base align with the bolt holes, (19" versus 10" base), but the pole of the pedestal was not the right size for the seat base mechanism. (2 3/8 versus 2 7/8") My search continues. One thing, 10 - 13" is about right. My stock seat height is 8" from seat base to deck.
Jim -- Go to my first two posts on page 1. I have a 2001 2250 RL and I believe my pedestal was identical to yours. The pedestal I linked in my post lined up with the original holes on the deck as well as the seat. It's still available on Amazon for $97 with free shipping. It solved my problem perfectly.

Jim -- Go to my first two posts on page 1. I have a 2001 2250 RL and I believe my pedestal was identical to yours. The pedestal I linked in my post lined up with the original holes on the deck as well as the seat. It's still available on Amazon for $97 with free shipping. It solved my problem perfectly.
I thought that one did not have the forward/back slide feature that my existing seat has. I'm trying one more Springfield pedestal - looks good for this one to match up, but if not...

I thought that one did not have the forward/back slide feature that my existing seat has. I'm trying one more Springfield pedestal - looks good for this one to match up, but if not...
Jim, take a look at this one. My link I think I might buy it.

Jim, take a look at this one. My link I think I might buy it.
Well, it does appear to have 6 bolt holes for the base which is good. I can't find the base size, you want 9". The height adjustment is manual peg in hole, rather than a power adjustment like an office chair. I think one would have to get out of the chair, pull out the locking pin, manually raise it up or down, and then reseat the locking pin. The advantage to this design is less parts to wear out or fail down the road. It does have forward/back slide and swivel. Not sure if the holes for the seat will align. A couple question marks, but looks like it has potential.

I have this gas adjustable pedestal/mount combo on order with Cascade $89.95 plus shipping:

Springield Model 1250251-L

Adjust: 11.75" to 15”

Post Diameter: 2-3/8"

Floor Base Diameter: 9"

Bolt Pattern: 8"

Bolt Holes: 6

http://www.cascadedepot.com/servlet/the-417/Mainstay-Ultra-Low-Profile/Detail

I want to replace the pedestal and base with one that is 2 piece set where you can snap the pedastal from the base so one doesn't have to mess with the base once it is mounted. Springfield has this base post setup for all of the suspension sets. Much easier to deal with down the road.It looks like the 2 you are linking to are the same one piece post/base like we have now.

I want to replace the pedestal and base with one that is 2 piece set where you can snap the pedastal from the base so one doesn't have to mess with the base once it is mounted. Springfield has this base post setup for all of the suspension sets. Much easier to deal with down the road.It looks like the 2 you are linking to are the same one piece post/base like we have now.
I suggest calling Cascade Depot at 541-327-2195. They are very helpful and have a huge inventory of seat mounts, pedestals and bases.

Back