Shiny pontoons

keithkz

Reaction score
Ok.....so what's the best product for shining up my toons? I do not have any scum on them...they're already very clean, just a little on the dull side. Please do not say Zing or Tunebrite as I have already tried them. They didn't do a thing. I'm trying to get my toons to look like polished alum.

Thanks!

Ok.....so what's the best product for shining up my toons? I do not have any scum on them...they're already very clean, just a little on the dull side. Please do not say Zing or Tunebrite as I have already tried them. They didn't do a thing. I'm trying to get my toons to look like polished alum.

Thanks!
Check out Sharkhide products.............First they have the "Sharkhide aluminum polish"...........then once you get the pontoons to a mirror like finish you apply the "Sharkhide Metal protectant". Here's a link keithkz..............

http://www.sharkhide.com/iboat/

I do mine with Mothers aluminum polish and it works great.

Lakebum has a good solution, sand the tubes flat, using graduated grit paper. The process requires an orbital disc sander AND an ocillating sander. The orbital can be set to orbit or rotory, use that machine away from the splash rail and other sensitive areas. The ocillating machine is used below/close to the splash rail.

The purpose of sanding is to smooth valley's and peaks in the material. After sanding, a fine grit compound will create the polished Aluminum finish. Once satisfied with the finish, laquer thinner must be used to remove oil that may have imbedded from the machines and/or the compound. Failure to use laquer thinner will create a bonding barrier between the Aluminum and sealer.

Application of the sealer should be done below 70* F or colder. The application working time is greatly extended when applied at a lower temperature. Otherwise, you may expect to create thin coating spots, streaks or runs. Then, apply a second coat, after an initial coat curing period.

Aluminum wheels and etc. are polished and coated in a similar manner, with similar products. 3M has a commercial coating, sand paper and rouge compounds.

Some, if not all, Generic coatings and rouge products may be private labeled from 3M products. The re-seller may simply fill a small container, apply a hefty margin and market such under a proprietary label.

Well I'm either going to use Gord's (I watched the video) or that 4-step polishing kit that Lakebum speaks of in his blog (without the sanding part).

Just trying to figure out which is better.

Just for clarification, when I do mine and my buddy does his the same way it is just a simple 2-3 steps if you use a protective coating. lather the Mothers or whatever brand of polish you want on the random orbital buffer pad, "to prevent swirls the random orbital is best" I found this out after my first Benny I used a basic orbital polisher and it looked good from a few feet away but up close you could see the swirl marks.

After getting it to the desired shine or mirror finish I wipe it down with acetone. Leaves a super shine and then I put sharkhyde on which slightly dulls down the high shine but is still better than repolishing every couple weeks like my friend does.

Simple process. No need to make it any more difficult than it is. just takes elbow grease and time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tips. Any idea how much Gord's I should buy to do my 2575 Tritton?

Thanks for the tips. Any idea how much Gord's I should buy to do my 2575 Tritton?
i called him and asked how much to get for my boat which is the same size. He recommended 2 -32 oz bottles. I ordered that and he has free shipping if you use paypal on his web site. Have not used it yet so no feedback on it..

Who is "him"? Who did you purchase it from?

Sorry. I went on the gord's website. I called the number listed and talked to the owner. Then I ordered the product on the web site.

2 32oz bottles of Gords to do the outsides and nosecones on my 2275.

That's how much I ordered for my 2575 tri-toon. I'll order more if I need to once I start the job.

In that Gord's video when he's using the buffer, he states to run it slow "600 rpm's". I have an orbital buffer, not one with adjustin speed like he uses. Anyone know if that will be ok and what rpm's those generally run at?

Yeah the guy from Gord's told me about that exact buffer but I'm not crazy about ordering anything from Harbor Frieght. I'll try Sears.

Back