Sony Marine Amp

Noah Genda

Reaction score
I searched for this model number and came up blank.  If I'm starting another stereo topic that has been beat to death, please forgive me.  

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158XM604M/Sony-XM-604M.html?tp=61752&awkw=75622285465&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=47439383905&awdv=c

New replacement boat (2015 RCW) has arrived and will see water in a couple of weeks.  I ordered the stock stereo system with the stock speakers.  Many people on the forum seem to think with a bit more power, you can improve the quality of the sound.  i'm not necessarily interested in increasing the volume, just the quality.  

Has anyone installed a Sony XM-604M amplifier?  I know it needs power.  I was told the factory wouldn't run an extra power lead to the helm so I have to figure out how to power this thing up.  Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

More importantly, does it make enough difference to add it?

Thanks in advance.

Maybe few thoughts here....

I would wait to see how much you like the stock stereo as is before you begin spending money on something you don't need yet.

You can't just power mediocre and expect more than amplification as a result. The stock Kickers that came with my RCW couldn't produce the sound I wanted from my stereo even with all the power in the world. It's the design of the speaker that determine their sound reproduction capabilities.

Hence my recommendation to run with the system you purchased. If you later decide it is lacking for your likes, start by upgrading your speakers & speaker wire, then add an amp, and then a subwoofer until you find the full range of sound your ears like.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are going to start with a amp, I would lean towards the wet sounds 6 channel version as the r has 6 speakers-8 with the tower

If you are going to start with a amp, I would lean towards the wet sounds 6 channel version as the r has 6 speakers-8 with the tower
Or you could go with the brand ALL of the offshore $500k fishing boats are running and purchase JL 600/6 or 800/8!Just throwing my digs in where I can get them.

Haha, you spin me right round baby right round Spin! I will tell you this, my cousin decided to put the JL amp and speakers in his truck, he was actually disappointed in it! I don't know all the model numbers, but he spent over $15G in his boat, so I'm pretty sure he didn't cheap out in his truck! haha Oh, and what do those center console fishing boat people know about quality sound!! They keep it quiet so the fish can hear them saying, " Here fishy fishy fishy" haha WET SOUNDS RULES!!!

I knew if I dangled the bait you'd bite!

Noah- you may want to ignore the 3 of us. My wife puts in ear plugs when we leave the dock, I kid you not.

We need another poll to see what the average wattage per owner is. I assume us R guys are the highest since we R hard at hearing.

Spin and Derrick lead the way I assume. I am low man with the twin as-10's at 1000 watts and 900 to the 6 6.5's and the icons, that I made removable, off the ski pilon ,since I don't have a tower, at 400 watts.

The only thing that I want to mod is removing the one as-10 and cutting my lounger to mount a 12 like Derrick. I have dyna matted my entire helm and still can vibrate a full can right out of the cup holder. He warned me that 2 of those might be too much.

Noah- you may want to ignore the 3 of us. My wife puts in ear plugs when we leave the dock, I kid you not.

We need another poll to see what the average wattage per owner is. I assume us R guys are the highest since we R hard at hearing.

Spin and Derrick lead the way I assume. I am low man with the twin as-10's at 1000 watts and 900 to the 6 6.5's and the icons, that I made removable, off the ski pilon ,since I don't have a tower, at 400 watts.

The only thing that I want to mod is removing the one as-10 and cutting my lounger to mount a 12 like Derrick. I have dyna matted my entire helm and still can vibrate a full can right out of the cup holder. He warned me that 2 of those might be too much.
Willb, do you have pics of your mounted icons? Where did you run the wire?

Well we all know that sound is also subjective. Some like a certain sound, some like it another way. I do find it quite funny that the WS's could score almost 1 full point less than the polk's, even though their stats are very close. Also since the Polk's have a silk tweeter, which some say in a noisy environment such as convertibles and obviously boats would fall into this category, don't perform as well as a harder material, such as titanium. I know I like them, and that really is all that matters!! :)  

Awe BC, we just like to see you get worked up.

The top ten review is not a good indicator of true listening sound reproduction. Nowhere does it indicate that they actually listened to the speakers. In fact, the review implies they used manufacturer specs to rate speakers. Some specs are totally a stretch while others are incredibly conservative. Think Pyle amps

They rely heavily on sensitivity (loudness) to determine efficient listening. No two manufacturers measure this the same way. There is no standard to gauge this measurement e.g distance, wattage, or frequency.

The most compelling evidence is the claim that the Polk's low end frequency is 40Hz on their 6.5" coaxial speaker. The human ear can't hear below 20Hz. Professional and THX grade sub woofers operate in the 20Hz-80Hz range.

You are right that listening preference is incredibly subjective. Having had the chance to be aboard vessels with Westsounds, Exile, and obviously JL, I would personally change my setup daily if I could.

If I listened to my music at a crowded sandbar or while underway at breakneck speeds, I would choose Wetsounds. Wetsounds has the ability to cut through the "noise" of 200 other party goers listening to their own radios on full blast or while onboard a running boat with significant wind noise. Their products play modern music (EDM & Hip hop) exceptionally well.

As I listen to my radio while underway at a snail's pace and while beached in a cove or island, I prefer the full range sound afforded by JL. You are correct that it doesn't cut through 60mph wind noise like Wetsounds, due to its silk tweeter. However, that silk tweeter gives it much better sound reproduction without the harshness of metal. JL does a much better job in vocal music like country and classic rock.

Haha, good old spin! Back to the amp, there are many fine choices for an amp, and there are VERY different qualities of amps. The HT series of WS amps is a very well built amp, but doesn't have the power output I want. I have the SYNDICATE series, definitely a huge improvement over the HT series. I would like to redo my setup with the Sinister series as their power output is amazing and love the fact that they all have the same footprint, regardless of output. That would be overkill for your application, but I think a Syndicate would be a great addition. Or you could try one of the JL SOME people rant and rave about, careful with those snake oil salesmen though!! Haha

Willb, do you have pics of your mounted icons? Where did you run the wire?
Unfortunately I don't have a pic on my ipad. I have them on my old blackberry but the boat is due to come out of storage early April.

At first, we made a reducer to mount to the rear rails. I have the amp power lead ran to a spare switch as we use them on the sand bar or when the kids are wake boarding or tubing.

Originally, I had the wire coiled under the rear loungers and would hock up running out the side of the cushions.

End of year I had a friend at Nowak machine, machine out mounts that went around the ski pilon. The are off set 1 slightly below the other.

I bought extra pilon mounts and moved them forward so when in storage they fit farther forward and changing room curtain holds them from vibrating.

Speaker leads now run to thru the bottom thru grommets into the transom cavity with butt connectors and a Velcro tie wrap holds it up out of the way. Nobody kicked it out at year end.

Back