Spare Prop

Jack M

Reaction score
Being new to this ,I am taking the advice of others who have encouraged me to buy a spare prop .

While at the dealer today ,I asked about one .

He told me that he some in the shop from last year that were never picked up and that I could buy one for his labor cost aprox $65.00 .

Does that sound like a fair price for a rebuilt prop ?

Any reasons why I shouldn't get a rebuilt prop for a spare ?

Thanks again .

Doesn't sound bad to me. Have you looked on Feebay? That's where I've purchased all the props I've tried and resold what I didn't use for the same or more money. I don't have an aluminum prop and I don't think stainless would benefit your boat. Is the lake you're boating on a rocky or stumpy lake? What size prop do you need?

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't sound bad to me. Have you looked on Feebay? That's where I've purchased all the props I've tried and resold what I didn't use for the same or more money. I don't have an aluminum prop and I don't think stainless would benefit your boat. Is the lake you're boating on a rocky or stumpy lake? What size prop do you need?
Actually I have not looked anywhere ,and really have not asked about the prop ,just trying to get everything else in order .

I am sure it is coming with whatever is standard .

The lake where the marina is in on Crooked Lake .

From what I hear there are some shallow areas 4-6 ft deep and a sand bar where everyone hangs out .

4-6 ft isn't bad and sand, no problem. How big is the lake? Ours is 35,000 acres.

4-6 ft isn't bad and sand, no problem. How big is the lake? Ours is 35,000 acres.
I believe it is 2352 ,it is part of the " Inland Waterway" in Michigan .Once on Crooked Lake ,you can take the waterway to Lake Huron and get anywhere .

For the most part we intend to just hang out on Crooked . ( This year )

Rebuilt aluminum props are fine and pretty standard fare in the business. I have my boat on a VERY stumpy lake. Before my Benny, I had a 260 HP Four Winns I/O and went thru 2 aluminum props a year for several years while learning where all the stumps were. I routinely bought rebuilt props.... last one was right around $90 about 5 years or so ago for that size engine. I "rebuilt" my own props (the tips) many, many times by jumping in the water with a pair of pliers and a ball pean hammer to straighten things out when I bent the tip(s) by knicking a stump. I did that for the 18 years I had that boat. It drew probably 36" of water which is much more than the Benny. I have had her for two summers and don't have a spare prop onboard. The pontoon doesn't draw near as much a an I/O. However, thanks for reminding me it isn't bad to have a spare one onboard as an "insurance policy". Now I am sure the purists on the forum need their stainless props, but not on my lake!!!

Rebuilt aluminum props are fine and pretty standard fare in the business. I have my boat on a VERY stumpy lake. Before my Benny, I had a 260 HP Four Winns I/O and went thru 2 aluminum props a year for several years while learning where all the stumps were. I routinely bought rebuilt props.... last one was right around $90 about 5 years or so ago for that size engine. I "rebuilt" my own props (the tips) many, many times by jumping in the water with a pair of pliers and a ball pean hammer to straighten things out when I bent the tip(s) by knicking a stump. I did that for the 18 years I had that boat. It drew probably 36" of water which is much more than the Benny. I have had her for two summers and don't have a spare prop onboard. The pontoon doesn't draw near as much a an I/O. However, thanks for reminding me it isn't bad to have a spare one onboard as an "insurance policy". Now I am sure the purists on the forum need their stainless props, but not on my lake!!!
Thanks for the info

No problem.... just noticed you mention above that you could feasably one day take the Benny out to the "big water"... If so, hopefully you've looked into a second/spare battery on the boat, radio/communication device, weather monitoring method, Flare Gun and distress flag. I used to take the Four Winns out on the great lakes and those items were on that boat, and not currently on the Benny (other than the second battery) since she is relegated to Michigan inland small water. If you do venture out to Little Traverse Bay, the Coast Guard requires you to have "visual distress signals" for both day and night use on the Great Lakes... ie. a bright orange flag, and a disposable flare gun. Those probably aren't included in the coast guard package the dealer is giving you with your new purchase. One final note, boaters are a friendly group and always look to help others in "distress", be it a damaged prop or a dead battery. I have towed a number of boaters to shore in my time and been towed a handfull of times myself. Have fun with that new boat, I absolutely love mine!!!

We ordered our third Benny this spring. Went from 2575RL to 2375 GCW with express package. But we have always had a spare prop. Our lake is really shallow close to shore so we bend one almost every year. Have considered Stainless but have been told that you could damage the motor if you hit something so prop shaft or something more expensive. Not to mention stainless is at least double the cost. The nice thing about aluminum is they are easily fixed and if you have a spare you dont have down time. That is good for us because our season is so short in Wisconsin if i miss a week i miss 1/12th of the boating time.

No problem.... just noticed you mention above that you could feasably one day take the Benny out to the "big water"... If so, hopefully you've looked into a second/spare battery on the boat, radio/communication device, weather monitoring method, Flare Gun and distress flag. I used to take the Four Winns out on the great lakes and those items were on that boat, and not currently on the Benny (other than the second battery) since she is relegated to Michigan inland small water. If you do venture out to Little Traverse Bay, the Coast Guard requires you to have "visual distress signals" for both day and night use on the Great Lakes... ie. a bright orange flag, and a disposable flare gun. Those probably aren't included in the coast guard package the dealer is giving you with your new purchase. One final note, boaters are a friendly group and always look to help others in "distress", be it a damaged prop or a dead battery. I have towed a number of boaters to shore in my time and been towed a handfull of times myself. Have fun with that new boat, I absolutely love mine!!!
The dealer is installing the second battery ,it is not an option on this model .

Flare gun ,flag ,complete safety package ( US Coast Guard approved ) is being supplied by the dealer .Also getting at least a second ( possibly 3rd ) fire extinguisher

I am looking in to a hand held VHF radio with NOAA

The dealer is installing the second battery ,it is not an option on this model .

Flare gun ,flag ,complete safety package ( US Coast Guard approved ) is being supplied by the dealer .Also getting at least a second ( possibly 3rd ) fire extinguisher

I am looking in to a hand held VHF radio with NOAA
With "rough" water, you should get a "mounted" radio and have hand held as backup. Last thing you want going overboard is your radio when you get thrown around.

With "rough" water, you should get a "mounted" radio and have hand held as backup. Last thing you want going overboard is your radio when you get thrown around.
I just spoke to my dealer a short time ago ,he said that the Big Lakes by me Michigan ,Huron ,are really not lakes for a 22ft pontoon .

He suggested the most I do is go out to Lake Huron to turn around and head back down the inland water way .

Perhaps on a " Perfect Day " head over to the "Mackinac Bridge" and turn around there . But there is No Way I should try to cross the Straights and head over to the Island .

Smart.

I used to go through an aluminum prop a year on my inboard outboard. When I bought my last I/O, it came with a stainless prop. I scarcely put a scratch on it in 11 years' usage.

My last pontoon boat had an aluminum prop, and it's 27 years old without replacement. I just don't take my pontoon boats into the small places and shallow water I'd take an I/O.

It's good business taking a spare prop with you, especially if you can get one for $65.

Back