Stainless/Aluminum Prop ???

Bull

Reaction score
Folks

I believe the Stock prop for the Yamaha 150 is the 14.5/15 Stainless...and it performs fine.

The issue I will have it that running a stainless in my lake is virtual suicide for the shaft.

Almost everyone runs aluminum do the the unmarked hazards....

My question is simple....Does anyone have any thoughts on an aluminum prop that may yield the same results.

Thanks in advance

Al

Semper-Fi

The Mercury Enertia's, among others, have a FlowTorque hub/sacrificial insert available for Yamaha's, so those might be an option. In theory, it breaks before the shaft.

Thanks Tom, I will look into it...

Since our water is at a an "all-time" high for this time of year, I want to do some testing this Fall

I used to go thru an aluminum prop every year on my I/O's. When I switched to a stainless, I ran it 12 years without nary a scratch.

I guess it depends on what's under the water.

If I'm going to be over 115 hp, it's going to have a stainless prop.

If I'm going to be over 115 hp, it's going to have a stainless prop.
I agree.

I am also confident that the 150 & up shift significantly easier with a S.S. prop than they do an alum prop.

So far just dinged 2......

Nothing in the last year or so and that is with about 150-200 hrs/summer

On a side note, I have really enjoyed the performance of the stainless and am thinking of taking my chances...

Next weekend I am going to try an Enertia with the sacrificial hub....

Most prop mfg's use/offer a hub insert these days. IMO, its not so much a sacrificial piece as it is a transferable piece from prop to prop. It you hit something very solid with either style hub, chances are that the shock transferred thru the hub will tweak (bend) the propshaft anyhow. If you put an indicator on the shaft, it almost always ends up being out of tolerance.

What I'm saying is buy whichever stainless prop you want. A std. rubber hub or the hub insert won't make squat of a difference if you hit a rock.

Appreciate the input...was told the same thing from the mechanic that is letting me try his Enertia..

Back