Steering Cable

Matsprt

Reaction score
So my steering is starting to chatter / hang up when turning. I wold like to rebuild / replace everything from the steering wheel to where the cable goes into the motor.
Initially I’m trying to find the cable length. Anyone know ?? It’s a 2013 Pontoon 22’ SFFX.

you are essentially referring to "rigging" (that includes throttle/trim as well.

rigging is specific to the motor though. Posting your motor make/model/HP will get you a lot more suggestions, but essentially find the mfg site and look up the compatible rigging. Then search online for vendors to purchase. It's also a hell of a lot of work. Unless you are in for some punishment, I'd really consider getting a shop to do it.

OK, Not sure why throttle and trim would be involved. The motor is a Honda 115 hp.

I’ve followed the cable from the underside of the steering wheel, through the deck, along the pontoon and out into the engine. Appears to be about 16’ feet. Called a local dealer and they said they would not give out part numbers for my boat (I had supplied them the serial number). Seemed like they were more interested in encouraging me to buy from them than giving me the part information.

It sure does not seem like that complicated a job, but what do I know ?? That’s why I’m asking questions here.

Try calling Honda,they may be able to give you the numbers

Try calling Honda,they may be able to give you the numbers
Where the steering cable screws into the motor it appears to be just a standard connection, very similar to the old auto speedo cable.
The only question is it seems ass backwards…how or why would Honda know how long a steering cable one needs from their motor to the steering wheel. That answer should come from Bennington ??
Excuse my ignorance as I’m just getting into this hobby. (I knew I should have never moved to a lake)

It’s not a complicated job. There is standardization of the cable ends. Some cables have the length printed on the side. Many dealers stock the most common lengths in 1 foot increments. If not in stock they can get it within 2 days. Bring in the old cable when you pick up the new cable. Hope this brings clarity.

If you have a Honda motor you have Honda rigging. In your previous post, you stated a dealer would not give you a "part number" .
OK, Not sure why throttle and trim would be involved. The motor is a Honda 115 hp.

I’ve followed the cable from the underside of the steering wheel, through the deck, along the pontoon and out into the engine. Appears to be about 16’ feet. Called a local dealer and they said they would not give out part numbers for my boat (I had supplied them the serial number). Seemed like they were more interested in encouraging me to buy from them than giving me the part information.

It sure does not seem like that complicated a job, but what do I know ?? That’s why I’m asking questions here.

If you have a Honda motor you have Honda rigging. In your previous post, you stated a dealer would not give you a "part number" .
Correct. I assume when you mention rigging you are referring to throttle / trim connections.

I’m hoping the only things I need to replace to correct my issue is a cable and the “steering box” just below the console.

Currently it chatters / locks up. I’ve lube both ends of the steering cable connections to no avail. So I’d like to replace everything from the steering wheel downstream to the connection to the motor. Hoping that should solve the problem.

My apologies, I always thought the steering was run with the rigging, but there’s no reason it needs to be…. And doesn’t come with the rigging package. Not sure what I was thinking about when I posted that, lol. I was looking for my next beer methinks.

One can remove the old one, measure it, and order replacement. But then you are down in the meantime.
Dealer can determine length by reaching out to Bennington with HID# and they can recommend correct length. Sometimes 'close' works, but correct is ideal as you want all gradual, non-binding routing for minimal cable sliding resistance.

I recently had a problem with the steering locked up. It was not the cable but the helm. Complete helm and new steering cable was replaced by warranty. If you are just going to replace the cable, it is marked along its length as to what size it is. Follow its length from the motor and the markings are on the cable.

I recently had a problem with the steering locked up. It was not the cable but the helm. Complete helm and new steering cable was replaced by warranty. If you are just going to replace the cable, it is marked along its length as to what size it is. Follow its length from the motor and the markings are on the cable.
Never knew that!

Back