Stolen Motors

ILLINOIS AVE

Reaction score
Last year I posted that some Yamaha motors were stolen from where I have my pontoon stored. Well this year the thieves tried to steal mine. Is there a way to secure the motor in any way to keep thieves from getting the motors off the boat? Thanks Jeff

How much damage was done ?

Did they take your prop ?

They also make "prop locks" 

I have the Mcgard prop lock and it is still on the boat so it must be working. I bought it as our boat is on a lift and we get a lot of late night bow fisherman who come right by the docks late at night. I don't keep anything of value on the boat either. If this is an ongoing issue where you store the boat I would look at other storage options. Almost sounds like an inside job to me.

Agree on inside job or atleast first hand knowledge.

Small outboards and props I can see. Anything in the 115 and up range will need some muscle and motor knowledge to pull off a stunt like this.

I was tempted to have the Yamaha Y-Cop installed.  Dealer talked me out of it, they don't remember the last time a large outboard was stolen.  I was going to justify a reduction in insurance premium, but it wasn't significant to make up the additional cost.  And the fact I can't get out of my mind the old car alarm I had that kept it from starting, but it looks very cool and effective IF you have their command link.

http://yamahaoutboards.com/owner-resources/blog/pro-anglers/y-cop-shuts-down-outboard-thieves

Not much damage. Just  nicely unhooked everything and removed 4 nuts . Then something must have spoofed them off. I did order the Mcgard Outboard Motor Lock. Thansk for all the help. 

Back