Swim platform

Calamus

Reaction score
We just got our 2014 22SSX bennington and we love it I was wondering if anyone out there has added a swim platform how hard is it and what kinda money am I looking at, and what about ordering a front 1/2 gate for a trolling motor? I had planned on putting a cavatation plate trolling motor on but after reading the reviews I have decided to go with a min kota i drive with a quick detach plate. anyone else have one of these thanks.

I've got the Min Kota on my 24SLi - 55# thrust and 54" shaft. I think the 1/2 door was around $120 installed.

Does the 55# thrust seem to be enough power in windy area Im in Nebraska and fish the calamus where the wind blows 90% of the time.

I have the same boat with a Minn Kota 80 Ipilot/Ilink 60 in. shaft. I enjoy the Spot Lock feature and I plan on taking advantage of the Ilink contour following feature on well mapped lakes.

We just got our 2014 22SSX bennington and we love it I was wondering if anyone out there has added a swim platform how hard is it and what kinda money am I looking at, and what about ordering a front 1/2 gate for a trolling motor ? I had planned on putting a cavatation plate trolling motor on but after reading the reviews I have decided to go with a min kota i drive with a quick detach plate. anyone else have one of these thanks.
What is a half gate? Does someone have a picture as I have never seen or heard of this, got my curiosity aroused now. I have a friend with a 24 foot Tahoe triple tube with Merc 200 2 stroke with a 100 lb thrust Minnkota trolling motor and he claims it is barely enough on the missouri river with 3-4 mph average current with no wind and will not hold the boat upstream with the right wind and on the lakes works good but it still falls short in wind. He made his own quick tach platform on the starboard side of the bow.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is a half gate? Does someone have a picture as I have never seen or heard of this, got my curiosity aroused now. I have a friend with a 24 foot Tahoe triple tube with Merc 200 2 stroke with a 100 lb thrust Minnkota trolling motor and he claims it is barely enough on the missouri river with 3-4 mph average current with no wind and will not hold the boat upstream with the right wind and on the lakes works good but it still falls short in wind. He made his own quick tach platform on the starboard side of the bow.
http://img.benningto...x/24-SFI-6-.jpg

Thanks Rockie69!!

Boy would my dogs love that.

Do trolling motors actually stick out far enough to clear the center tube if it was on one and I assume it is for boats with short front platforms, my 2250 has a long enough front platform I would think for a motor to clear without one but if I were to put a trolling motor on it would be off to one side ot the other and not smack in the middle of my entrance walkway.

My dog does she walks out front all the time.

To answer your other question about the extended swim platform. An extended rear on your boat would have been $913 on another model, but they don't offer it on your specific hull.

I assume that owners with rear fishing seats need to be able to get their rod tips out beyond the rear of the boat to fish in an efficient manner. To add another 18" on the back would make fishing quite difficult.

My 55# thrust unit is fine for my 24SLi - but I don't have a need to use it in heavy winds. If I did I would get the 24 volt model.

I looked at the min kota again its a 24 volt 80lbs. thrust and I think with the quick de tach plate that it will fit under the gate I will just have to leave the door open while the motor is installed. I saw a manitou with the swim platform and though that would be nice. We looked at so many boats and options it kinda got overwhelming So I thought maybe we missed it so Im glad it was not an option for us. Now the task of tracking down some nice rod holders benningtion ones are not really meant for trolling. If anyone knows of some nice ones, I have RAM holders on my bass boat and love them.

Back