Thinking about re-powering and adding lifting strakes… Need experiences and insight please…

MSwalker

Reaction score
I have a 2015 22 ft Bennington with a Yamaha 90 4 stroke. I have been debating putting a Suzuki 140 4 stroke and adding lifting strakes. Thinking about going with a Suzuki 140 because it weighs 410lbs which is only 48lbs heavier than the Yamaha 90. The Yamaha 90 actually weights 362. I also looked at Tohatsu 140 as well because it only weighs 392lbs. Anyone have any experience with upgrading the engine for more power. Also anyone added lifting strakes. Looking at the 4 inch and the 6 inch. Any insight would be much appreciated.

Lifting strakes is a pretty radical upgrade unless you are a welder by trade.
Bare in mind that this will also void tube warranty.

Assuming your pontoon is NOT rated on your capacity plate for 140 HP (my guess is 115 at most if a normal dual pontoon), in addition to the above comments about a) welding them on and b) HP capacity rating/limit voiding warranty: you would also void insurance coverage and have liability concerns in the event of a problem.

I know I am a broken record on these matters, but going above your capacity plate comes with a host of negatives: voids warranty, negates any insurance coverage, increases liability in event of accident or competent failure, potentially stresses hull, welds and frames beyond engineering specs/endurances, etc…

I am a firm adherent, stay within capacity plate and engineering limits. If you don’t have enough…then either a) put up with what you purchased already, or sell and upgrade. Not the answer being looked for, but its the cautious, safer and risk adverse approach.

Last edited:
Expect to get about 20% more speed with 56% more power. If more speed is a priority adding lifting strakes is the smart money. If the lifting strakes lift out of the water up front there will be a tiny bit of pounding along with water spray blow back in a strong cross wind. I have owned that Suzuki motor. Compared to the Yamaha it is smoother and quieter but has a little gear whine. My 22 Bennington capacity plate states a 115 hp max power. I doubled that along with significant hull modification. Drag reduction gave me the most significant speed increase. During my career I developed product and dealt with product liability issues. As a result I feel comfortable with the modifications that I made. There is something very gratifying about making your boat better.

Back