Throttle tip-in position?

Bourbonation

Reaction score
New to boating so I'm not sure what to expect in this regard: Where in the travel of the throttle lever, should RPMs pick up from idle RPM?
When I shift into gear then advance the throttle, it feels like there is quite a dead zone where there is no response. I finally bump up to 1000 RPM at about 45 degrees of travel. Is this normal or do I have a cable adjustment issue? 2003 Johnson (suzuki) 4 stroke - thanks in advance

It sounds like an adjustment issue. Does it respond in the same way when you shift to reverse?

I never really paid attention to reverse since I usually am using reverse just off of idle - will have to check next week

If that's the original cable, it may need to be replaced.

I really don't know since the prior owner passed - they don't seem to be binding, but I also don't know their age. Is that a thing to get from a dealer or a measure the old one(s) & order a new online?

I have never changed one , but I'm sure some one on the forum has the knowledge and will respond.

My Throttle has had a dead zone since new. I just bump it to what I'm looking for usually in the No Wake.

Probably cable adjustment. Are you achieving max RPMs at full throttle? If not that would be a dead giveaway that your cables require a review. Pull the cowling off and move the throttle lever all the way forward (engine off). Watch your throttle body and see if there is any slop.

If you’re mechanically inclined, I’d order online and install. You’ll save probably a couple hundred minimum parts and labor. What throttle rigging is being used?

my throttle seems normal going forward, but I have to put it almost all the way down for reverse to engage. My boat is a 2019

Probably cable adjustment. Are you achieving max RPMs at full throttle? If not that would be a dead giveaway that your cables require a review. Pull the cowling off and move the throttle lever all the way forward (engine off). Watch your throttle body and see if there is any slop.
If you’re mechanically inclined, I’d order online and install. You’ll save probably a couple hundred minimum parts and labor. What throttle rigging is being used?
@Protomabassin @ wot I'm getting to 5800 rpm - so close but not quite full RPMs - I'll check the throttle body when we pull the boat

@SEMPERFI8387 It has a BRP binnacle ( I assume that is what you meant)

@Protomabassin @ wot I'm getting to 5800 rpm - so close but not quite full RPMs
What motor and what is max RPM at WOT for that motor? 5800 seems awful close to where most higher HP motors top out at…6000rpms is somewhat typical of a large swath of motors. I guess my point being regardless of throttle play, you may be at max RPM now simply due to prop or motor mount height. Might not be any more to get out of it in that regard. And thus, you may have some throttle play, but still getting to the top of the range…perhaps just wonky between neutral and top of range.

What motor and what is max RPM at WOT for that motor? 5800 seems awful close to where most higher HP motors top out at…6000rpms is somewhat typical of a large swath of motors. I guess my point being regardless of throttle play, you may be at max RPM now simply due to prop or motor mount height. Might not be any more to get out of it in that regard. And thus, you may have some throttle play, but still getting to the top of the range…perhaps just wonky between neutral and top of range.
Agreed - that's why the initial question - Johnson 140 4 stoke (re-badged Suzuki DF140) that is OEM to boat, 13.8x15 3 blade prop, 2575RL pontoon. 2 passengers, light breeze 21mph top speed. WOT PRM should be 5600-6200. Not a particularly aggressive pitch so I expected to be closer to 6200. I'll have to look at butterfly position in the throttle body at WOT in the off season.

It may be normal.
Keep in mind what is going on with your throttle lever...
The initial travel does nothing to move throttle, it is to actuate shifting only. Moving further finally begins movement of throttle cable.
If you feel comfortable doing so, disconnect throttle cable at engine end and verify that your cable is indeed forcing throttle to full when lever is at max throttle.

It may be normal.
Keep in mind what is going on with your throttle lever...
The initial travel does nothing to move throttle, it is to actuate shifting only. Moving further finally begins movement of throttle cable.
If you feel comfortable doing so, disconnect throttle cable at engine end and verify that your cable is indeed forcing throttle to full when lever is at max throttle.
I am going to look at throttle body position at WOT (engine off) - the lack of response is *after* the prop has engaged at idle RPM I'll see in a few weeks

Back