Toon cleaning

"The works" toilet bowl cleaner. You can get it at the dollar store.

I would use a power washer on the tubes right when you take it out of the water before the crud gets a chance to dry and harden. If you want to brighten them up, I use Alumabrite by Envirotech. No chalky white tubes, just nice machined aluminum appearance.

I don't leave mine in the water, but I get a what looks like oil stains. Do I need such a harsh cleaner?

AWK

There are a few different Alumabrites out there. Same basic name, just altered spelling. The Alumabrite by EnviroTech is much milder and doesn't make your tubes look white. It takes a bit longer to work, but the end result is very good. Once and a while you get a dark spot on the tube that is stubborn. For those areas I use NAPA Aluminum Brightener. It's much stronger and works instantly. I dilute it 50/50 with water and it still works quickly, but isn't as harsh.

I do believe though that once you use the wrong product that turns your tubes white, there is no bringing them back to that aluminum color without actually polishing them out. Make the right choice the first time. No Toon Brite.

There are a few different Alumabrites out there. Same basic name, just altered spelling. The Alumabrite by EnviroTech is much milder and doesn't make your tubes look white. It takes a bit longer to work, but the end result is very good. Once and a while you get a dark spot on the tube that is stubborn. For those areas I use NAPA Aluminum Brightener. It's much stronger and works instantly. I dilute it 50/50 with water and it still works quickly, but isn't as harsh.

I do believe though that once you use the wrong product that turns your tubes white, there is no bringing them back to that aluminum color without actually polishing them out. Make the right choice the first time. No Toon Brite.
I know this is an old post but will I stain my driveway if I use this on my toons and rinse in my driveway?

Great question! If that's the best place you have to do the job, I'd consider hosing down your driveway before starting and keeping it as wet as possible throughout the process.

I do believe though that once you use the wrong product that turns your tubes white, there is no bringing them back to that aluminum color without actually polishing them out. Make the right choice the first time.

This has not been my experience. I acid washed my 2001 Benny at the end of every season from 2004 to 2017. I tried a few different products over the years but ended up with a generic mag wheel cleaner sold by my local mom and pop hardware store exclusively for cleaning pontoons. They sold it for $12 a gallon. I diluted it 3:1 or 4:1 (water to acid) depending on how much crud was on my toons and applied it with my garden sprayer. It always turned the toons very white but the color evolved back to normal over the next few months due to (I assume) oxidation.

I Am Thinking I Could Save Some Money By Doing It Myself

Fortunately The Toons After Being In The Water All Season Long Do Not Get Too Bad

"Lake Living Is Living At It's Best"

34580052_1942650156025626_7686181856974209024_o.jpg

Last edited:
Back