Towing a Pontoon with SUV

Has anyone with an '06 - '08 Escalde experienced a stalling at idle while towing and the engine hot?

Also what experiences have some of you had towing with a Toyota Sequoia Platinum 2wd, 5.8L engine? Any problems with the Sequoias?

Has anyone with an '06 - '08 Escalde experienced a stalling at idle while towing and the engine hot?

Also what experiences have some of you had towing with a Toyota Sequoia Platinum 2wd, 5.8L engine? Any problems with the Sequoias?
If I'm not mistaken, the Tundra 5.8L engine is the same as the Sequoia. I have a Tundra with the 5.8 and it has performed quite well for me. Most times I take my boat out involve towing 600-700 miles round trip through mountain passes. I have 4WD but I never use it at the ramp. I don't think the engine is any different for 2WD or 4WD. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Stalling at idle and hesitation issues...especially with trucks over 7 years old and/or over 100,000 miles...

GM and Ford engines need their spark plugs replaced, and both are prone to the coil-over-plug (COP) ignition packs failing intermittently around 120,000 miles. If you experience stalling-at-idle, or any hesitation in hard acceleration, or a bucking sensation when accelerating lightly while at speed (like going up a shallow grade hill while on the highway where the engine doesn't need to step down a gear...just needs to dig in to torque a little at low RPM and freeway speeds) this is a strong indicator you need new plugs, and you need your COP packs checked.

If you have over 100,000 miles on your truck, and the plugs are original - have them replaced.

If you are a Ford driver like me - don't try to do it yourself. Have it done - the steel sleeve of the plugs seize into the aluminum head and often break. There are special dealer tools specifically designed for extracting broken plugs. It's about $450 to have the spark plugs replaced on an Expedition assuming 2 of the 8 plugs break (about average).

On both trucks, due to advanced computer controls and variable cam timing issues - the bucking can seem like the transmission is jumping in and out of gear. Just knowing that it's probably not the transmission is good info to have. 

For trucks over 100,000 miles, it's also not the worst idea to have a spare coil pack or two in a storage area somewhere. They are very easy to replace in the field and are not too expensive to just carry a spare.

Just sharing what I've learned over the years.

I have zero experience with imported trucks...so can offer no help with that. 

Also worth noting - 4WD on a ramp is totally unnecessary except when it is totally necessary. 2 times I have been on a ramp that was slicked up with sand, water and mushed up seaweed. Exactly 2 times. I've probably launched and recovered boats 500 times over the years. I'm not sure what I would have done those 2 times without 4WD. But I do think about it every time I replace the truck - can I get by without 4WD...?

We launch on a ramp that faces north.  It gets slick with moss and thank goodness for the 4WD.  Otherwise you are doing a burnout to get to the concrete and then everything is wet.  Lots of people helping push vehicles up the ramp. 

Our 99 suburban had 120,000 miles when I choose to replace the plugs.  They looked new and the gap had hardly increased.  It still was a good idea but I was amazed at their condition.   

Back