Trailer Bunk Replacement

Ntwkbound

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I need to replace the bunks and bunk carpet on my trailer. I have 4 bunks that are each 27 feet long. Needless to say this simple project could easily run almost a thousand dollars. YIKES!
Here is my question...Is "Bunk" carpet that much better than a high grade outdoor carpet at Home Depot or Lowes? I have seen the rubber replacements, and those are cost prohibitive. What are your thoughts?

I replaced the bunks and bunk carpet on my trailer 2 yrs. ago. I have a Tritoon but only replaced the 4 outer bunks. The 2 that holds the center tube was sound and didn't need replacing.

I bought 100 linear feet of high quality bunk carpet on Amazon. My outer bunks are 22 feet (compared to your 27 feet) so I only used about 90 feet. I bought 4-10 ft. 2x4's and 4-12 ft. 2x4's and attached them together with a heavy duty steel plate. I then cut the carpet to size and used stainless steel staples to fully cover the 22 ft. bunk board. I then attached all boards to the trailer using galvanized lag bolts.

100 ft. Bunk carpet..............$119.00
8-2x4's........................$ 44.00
Stainless steel staples....$6.00
40 galvanized lag bolts...$21.00

Total cost was under $200...........

Of course your costs would be a bit higher but I don't think it'll be anywhere near $1000.

I have to admit my math was TERRIBLE! Bunk carpet off Overtons is running $225. The boards won't be too bad. I was just having a hard time shelling out more money. Especially for carpet. This is my first boat and it has been a VERY expensive year. It has a 6.2 Mercruiser I/O with a Bravo 3 outdrive. It was intended to have the engine pulled each time you need to work on it. It stays in the water all summer so I have a mobile mechanic. To replace the starter was only $1300.00. They had to remove the exhaust manifold etc..etc. This is just one of a few Examples. Next Benne will be an outboard! The acronym BOAT should be plural for Thousands :)

Hey everyone,

I need to replace the bunks and bunk carpet on my trailer. I have 4 bunks that are each 27 feet long. Needless to say this simple project could easily run almost a thousand dollars. YIKES!
Here is my question...Is "Bunk" carpet that much better than a high grade outdoor carpet at Home Depot or Lowes? I have seen the rubber replacements, and those are cost prohibitive. What are your thoughts?
I bought carpet off of Pacific Trailer, worked out well. Just a thought but contact the trailer manufacturer, they may sell the carpeted bunks at a reasonable cost. Why do you feel your bunk boards need replaced? My trailer is 15 years old and never been replaced except the carpeting.

Hey man I'm with you. I have an I/O and IF we ever get another boat it'll be an outboard. But we have had ours for 10 seasons and we have had really good luck with ours except for 2 occasions. Last summer we had a problem with a fuse that fed the fuel pump. It was a simple fix but a PIA to diagnose it. Before we left Virginia we had the fuel pump replaced and of course they had to remove the engine to do that.

I'm a believer in preventative maintenance. Take care of it and it will take care of you! Sometimes S--t happens......

My 21 foot 2014 Shorelander Trailer had a broken board
To replace I removed the staples from The Black Felt / Carpet and purchased a new 10 Foot 2 x 4 at Home Depot
Was sure not to purchase Outdoor Lumber as Chemical is harmful to aluminum pontoon
Placed the Black Felt / Carpet on new 2 x 4
Unfortunately the existing hardware used couldn't be cheaper
So I purchased all new stainless steel hardware for new board and the existing boards on trailer
Why they didnt use stainless steel is beyond comprehension
Now the question is should I replace all the rusted hardware?
I dont want to remove the existing hardware and make the opening larger by placing in new hardware ?
Advice please :)

To replace I removed the staples from The Black Felt / Carpet and purchased a new 10 Foot 2 x 4 at Home Depot
Was sure not to purchase Outdoor Lumber as Chemical is harmful to aluminum pontoon
So I purchased all new stainless steel hardware for new board and the existing boards on trailer
I dont want to remove the existing hardware and make the opening larger by placing in new hardware ?

If you are talking about the lag bolts......just move the entire board an inch forward or backwards when you replace the hardware so you wouldn't have to use the same holes the rusted ones came out of........

Thank you so very much, sometimes the obvious isnt so obvious
I appreciate the advice will do Saturday temps here will be in mid 80s
Unfortunately pulling the boat out on the 10th
Boating Season Went To Fast
134619782.jpg

Hey man I'm with you. I have an I/O and IF we ever get another boat it'll be an outboard. But we have had ours for 10 seasons and we have had really good luck with ours except for 2 occasions. Last summer we had a problem with a fuse that fed the fuel pump. It was a simple fix but a PIA to diagnose it. Before we left Virginia we had the fuel pump replaced and of course they had to remove the engine to do that.

I'm a believer in preventative maintenance. Take care of it and it will take care of you! Sometimes S--t happens......[/QUO

I agree with you on preventative maintenance. That is probably why this first year has been so expensive. It appears the boat likes to have a major breakdown two days before a holiday. Hopefully we are past the big money problems. However, I just jinxed myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are talking about the lag bolts......just move the entire board an inch forward or backwards when you replace the hardware so you wouldn't have to use the same holes the rusted ones came out of........
You can flip the bunk board over, if you are going to recarpet the bunk and drill new holes, or you can drill new holes thru the bunk support bracket and bunk. I have done both as needed. Moving the bunk may affect the way the pontoon rests on the trailer, so I always kept the bunks in the same spot as the factory.

Never gave the ending to the story
I took the carpet off the original broken board after removing the staples with a flat head screwdriver
Used existing carpet wrapped the new 2 x 4 with it and used new staples to secure to wood
The remaining 2 x 4 's after removing rusted hardware moved the boards down an inch and reapplied new lag bolts.

Thank You Big Kahuna

Looking Good (lol)
22861707_1844020472555262_8410411773744615256_o.jpg

Never gave the ending to the story
I took the carpet off the original broken board after removing the staples with a flat head screwdriver
Used existing carpet wrapped the new 2 x 4 with it and used new staples to secure to wood
The remaining 2 x 4 's after removing rusted hardware moved the boards down an inch and reapplied new lag bolts.

Thank You Big Kahuna

Looking Good (lol)
22861707_1844020472555262_8410411773744615256_o.jpg
You are very welcome!

Back