Tri-toon Storage...What do you store?

Okay we have discussed in floor storage many times on this forum over the years. Still trying to understand where the water is coming from if members say that their boats are covered with the mooring cover and it still gets wet!

That's a good question. I've had my boat for a year and a half now and have never had water or moisture in the in floor storage. I get in there periodically and check the carpet for wetness since I keep the cover in there.

My boat is fairly pitched astern due to the 250 and furniture layout, so water drains back from the bow and into the hatch. I'm under a covered slip so this only happens when I get caught in a storm or hose down the bow.

Ramp worked ok today. It was a bit of a tight fit so anything longer or wider might be problematic. The kids and I beached ourselves and put it through its paces. A few observations:

- 8' is probably the bare minimum for a low slope shore. 7 or less and its likely in the water

- Without a locking hinge in was a bit awkward getting it placed.

- It will get the job done but you have to take it easy and not bounce on it. Plenty of rigidity for an animal or child, but hefty adult human and it's right on the edge.

I'll give it a 3 out of 5 star rating. Functional, should get a few years out of it and price is good, but something with beefier crossmembers and a hinge solution would be preferred.

BTW, it was COLD today. To give an idea of air temps, our cruise speed was greater. We stopped just offshore of Quantico MCB to try and pick up a few cats (no luck) but the kids were troopers and didn't complain once.

5B2665FF-B54A-42D1-883C-7994D5823085.jpeg
D16FE125-4961-4E2B-AD6F-02C450407A46.jpeg

My boat is fairly pitched astern due to the 250 and furniture layout, so water drains back from the bow and into the hatch. I'm under a covered slip so this only happens when I get caught in a storm or hose down the bow.

Ramp worked ok today. It was a bit of a tight fit so anything longer or wider might be problematic. The kids and I beached ourselves and put it through its paces. A few observations:

- 8' is probably the bare minimum for a low slope shore. 7 or less and its likely in the water

- Without a locking hinge in was a bit awkward getting it placed.

- It will get the job done but you have to take it easy and not bounce on it. Plenty of rigidity for an animal or child, but hefty adult human and it's right on the edge.

I'll give it a 3 out of 5 star rating. Functional, should get a few years out of it and price is good, but something with beefier crossmembers and a hinge solution would be preferred.

BTW, it was COLD today. To give an idea of air temps, our cruise speed was greater. We stopped just offshore of Quantico MCB to try and pick up a few cats (no luck) but the kids were troopers and didn't complain once.

View attachment 28499
View attachment 28500
Couldn't imagine being on the boat on the Potomac today! Your kids are troopers. You didn't mention if your wife was with you all?!?

Couldn't imagine being on the boat on the Potomac today! Your kids are troopers. You didn't mention if your wife was with you all?!?

Well, being from New Jersey you'd think she could handle a bit of the frosty weather but she's more like a groundhog - happy and cozy in the den at home. She'll re-claim her spot on the swingback come June.

It was also a little unnerving with all the duck hunters out now, we were running a gauntlet of birdshot half the time. I was having visions of Apocalypse Now... was that napalm I smelled this morning??

I used to keep 2 two person tubes, 1 three person tube, kneeboard, wakeboard, paddles, 2 bumpers and 2 fishing rods in individual cases / tubes. Not living on the lake, the storage was perfect to have because we never knew what guests were going to want to do!

My second boat seemed to get a little water in the storage if we were doing a lot of tubing or higher speed maneuvers , but the third one never seemed to at all.

Mine gets a little damp in there if running hard. However, outside of that, it stays fairly dry. And I’ve never had any standing water of any kind in there, just dampness a few times here or there. Reading some replies above, I wonder how much of it is factors such as: type of cover protecting the boat, if it sets in the water impacting angle of the boa vs. up and level on lifts/sea legs/etc., under a canopy or exposed all the time, etc...

Kids......bad kids fit in there!!! We mostly store tubes/wake board, case of water, extra bumpers etc. there’s a little lip at the top edge the an expandable hook pole lays right in so I can flip it from my seat and grab anything overboard. I wouldn’t buy one without but we don’t live in the lake. We have the factory plastic floor and I reinforced it with aluminum angle, we get water but mostly from the wet kids, rain. Nothing seems to get in there while underway. I just leave it open during storage.

Back