Tritoon Log dent

Kristine

Reaction score
Hey all we have a Tritoon that our local boat shop ran into. He dented the front driver side log up at the front. He’s going to take care of it so I’m good there. The boats presently in a body shop where they tig welded and pulled the dent out. It doesn’t look bad but it’s still a little rippled. My question is will this hurt the performance of the boat or weaken the integrity of the log. See pic for dent repair.

Attachments

• 2927B593-76B8-42F3-8D73-A3D2F6F4AE3D.jpeg
    2927B593-76B8-42F3-8D73-A3D2F6F4AE3D.jpeg
    229.4 KB · Views: 78
  • E66B796F-AF3E-46E8-BE1F-E226EEBF6BC3.jpeg
    E66B796F-AF3E-46E8-BE1F-E226EEBF6BC3.jpeg
    181.5 KB · Views: 77
I would think it won’t hurt performance due to location. The nose should be above water with tritoon on plane. As for integrity of too .. the properties of metal change anytime you heat or cool metal. Now I can’t say if that’s change is good or bad in your case. I am willing to bet it will be fine

I lean towards what was said above - not likely to be any kind of structural problem due to location. I just don’t see that spot being stressed much compared to other areas of the pontoons.

Does that area sit up out of the water while riding lower in the back due to motor weight? If so, from a cosmetic perspective, I’d be very upset over that repair. I would not be accepting of that if it is visible. If not visible and below the water line, then it wouldn’t bother me.

I would want it replaced because of the warranty .
Or get it in writing that they will cover it for the lifetime

Taken from the warranty statement
"Lifetime Structural Warranty: As an owner of a new Bennington, you receive a Limited Lifetime Warranty on the structure,pontoons, gates, channels, motor mount & rotomold seat frames. If anything goes wrong, we will fix it. Season after season, your Bennington will be ready."

The entire warranty statement is below

Hopefully you are suggesting this is a temporary repair until a new log can be installed, but I don't see how this has anything to do with the Bennington warranty. The dealer did it, and everything is on his time and nickel. I would push for full and satisfactory remediation.

Hopefully you are suggesting this is a temporary repair until a new log can be installed, but I don't see how this has anything to do with the Bennington warranty. The dealer did it, and everything is on his time and nickel. I would push for full and satisfactory remediation.
I think where warranty comes into play is if there is future issues with that pontoon, and not providing an “out” for warranty coverage by Bennington.

For instance, on my current electrical system problem. I do nothing mechanical or maintenance to my boat. I have dealership do EVERYTHING to CYA myself and to avoid time spent wrench turning. I do so at costs premium since I pawn it off on my dealership.

So, in THEORY one might assume my electrical problem either needs to be on the dealerships insurance or the Bennington warranty. However, if they cannot pinpoint specifically what caused the initial issue, it will fall back on me and my insurance.

Why? Because I hooked up that battery charger once, and without definitive proof of cause, then no warranty claim or dealership insurance claim will get approved.

Going through what I am now with my boat, and coming off the loss of 5 weeks last summer with port pontoon leak, I think Jack is making a good point in case of future issues. That said, I am fairly distrustful and sensitive right now on repair issues and boats…

More than likely a "local boat shop " repair will void the warranty.

In rough water, waves could hit this spot and put a lot of stress on it. I would want a new toon for strength, continued warranty and cosmetic reasons.

Back