Turtle and The Hare

We all flew Cessna 150's, slammed the loose end of a toilet paper roll in the window and let it steamer. From time to time some one would get their toilet paper shortened by someone else's prop. (of course if your talking with your FAA buddies, I was never there, just hearsay) Besides, it was stupid. In fact, someone came in with popped rivets in the empennage. Of course, no one knew how that happened.

BTW, Do you come to the DFW area with any Air Shows ?
Yep, I would rate that as stupid, but we all have some stupid in us.

Sorry but the only air shows I've been associated with were here in South Carolina. I may go out to Reno for a few days near the end of the week. It's Reno Race time starting tomorrow!

Never been to the DFW area for an airshow, but if you have Cowboy tickets.... I could come visit! B) <jk>

Steve

Thanks Fender and CCanDo, much appreciated. The aluminum reinforcement on the cones is similar in function to the "rough water package" from Bennington?

CCanDo, is there any benefit to following the outside curve closely or does it not matter? Did you leave the back open? Thanks, Steve

CCanDo, is there any benefit to following the outside curve closely or does it not matter? Did you leave the back open? Thanks, Steve
Hi Steve,

We left the back open, because what you see is all the of material we had. Rigidity is fine, and a person may want to leave it open, as shown. Subject to closing completely, perhaps a drain plug fitting/plug should be placed at the rear of the box, providing a drain if the box were to leak and take on water. You may want to source for material that is the same as what is presently on your nose cone. Likely, your nose cone is .090 thickness, 5053 alloy, H13/15 hardness, Aluminum. Or, if .090 is not available, .100 or slightly thicker should work fine.

The contour of the rounded fin was probably a safety consideration. A square angle change could be more conducive to digging into the dock or deck hand, rather than deflecting. Though, there may be lost opportunity by not designing a "down deflector" lip on the edge of the fin. I visualize a 2-3" inch strip, set at 20-30 degrees down from parallel with the fin. The strip should serve to better turn spray away from the deck and improve airflow. The strip would then be edge capped, as it may be now.......However, before installing a strip, I would suggest attaching a streamer and watching where it hangs when the boat is at speed. "As a disclaimer"; the safe way to view the streamer would be use of a real time camera, mounted under the deck.

th

Last edited by a moderator:
Back