Twin elipticals with 200hp

BeezyB

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm just looking some some advise on a toon setup for the boat I'm looking at. Two local dealers seem to disagree on the use on the twin elipticals. The boat in stock is a 23rsb with 200hp and twin ellipticals. The other dealer who I am considering building with says he would never put the twin ellipticals on anything other than the fishing pontoons, especially not a 200hp r series and is very against building it that way.  If I don't want to wait for a build, my question is, what's everyone's thought on the twin ellipticals for a 200hp motor? What can I expect for handling? Does this toon setup negate the price and performance I'm  paying for a 200hp engine?

Thanks in advance

Having used the 22' elliptical with a 150hp last year, the difference is the way the boat turns.  It turns flat or slightly banks outward. We use our's for fishing and cruising and it is wonderful for those activities.  It will suck for some watersports.  Skiing and wake boarding would be ok till you make a high speed turn to pick somebody up.  Tubing will suck for the driver and passengers.  

Lots of watersports, get a sps or esp toons.  First one to the fishing hole, get the 200HP ellipt

If you want to go fast in a straight line it would be great. If you want to turn quick, you'll need a different tube setup. SPS or ESP.

Are there lifting strakes on the toons?  I ran into this with dealers when we were looking, some dealers love them, some hate them, and sometimes the theories differed at marinas with multiple stores.   When we were looking to repower our GCW with ellipticals, we got multiple answers from everyone on whether or not a 150, 200, 250hp would be enough.

I truly believe the only way to tell for your needs is to test drive it and another with a triple toon setup.  Unfortunately that's really difficult to arrange.  If you want to ride in an ESP setup with a 300, and are in the SW Michigan area, let me know, we float it on Saturday, 

As I understand it, this combo will be fast, due to the extra buoyancy of the ellipticals, but won't turn as sharp and quickly as a boat with SPS or ESP, all else being the same.

The center of gravity will be higher also, because the fuel tank is in the center tube of the SPS and ESP.

Thank you for the comments. I'm definitely not buying a non- fishing, $65000 boat with 200hp to not tube, ski, etc,( too many double negatives:)- yes i plan on skiing, tubing) so it sounds like that was a poor decision for whoever put the build together, I assume they were trying to save cost. Thanks for confirming what the other dealer was telling me. Too bad- now I have to order and wait......but at least I will get what I want in the long run. 

There is a guy on my lake who bought a new G series last year and has elipticals and a 150. He said he should have went with a different setup after seeing me do some power turns!!!! Plus his only does 39mph. Smart move on waiting for a boat that will fit your needs.

Waiting isn't that big a deal, it goes quite fast.  Order exactly what you want for your needs and be done with it.  Why compromise when you don't have to?

Back