Upgraded Sound System........Buzzing Noise

djm

Reaction score
So we got our Bennington 2575 QCW I/O Last week and the thing is simply amazing and FAST!!!!

The only problem is when the motor is running and the stereo is on we get that horrible buzzing/humming noise coming through the speakers. Our last boat never had those issues but we also didnt have an Amp and Subwoofer hooked up to it.

I went to Best Buy and got a Ground Loop Isolator but it didnt help one bit.

Has anyone had an issue with the upgraded Sony Sound Package and what did you do to fix it.

I remeber from the old car audio days that you needed to run the main power supply and the RCA's from the amp to the deck on the oppsoite sides of the car otherwise you would have this same problem. I have also heard that buying the twisted/Best RCA's leads on the market it would also help eliminate the problem.

I definitely have to do something because it is unbearable even if the boat is idling, never mind when you are driving the buzz gets louder.

We did get the extended warranty package for it, should I just take it back to the shop and have them check it out or is it a simple something I can do this weekend.

Is it a ground wire issue with the amp?

Thanks for the help

D

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to take a crack at it yourself, i would start with the grounds for the head unit and the amp.

They like to be direct to the battery, not ganged up with all the other equipment grounds.

Another area to look at is the preamp output wiring to the amp, they should be high quality shielded wires to prevent rf interference.

The buzz or hum is usually produced by an electric motor, alternator or the ignition system, if you have power steering, i'd bet it was the p/s pump motor creating the noise.

So isolating that system may get rid of the noise.

If i remember correctly, another member had a similar problem, you could try a search and see what comes up.

Otherwise, lets see what others have to say ;)

Congrats on your new toy, Be sure to post some pic's of it. Question. Is it a factory Sony system? Because if it is then I would have your dealer take a look at it. Noise can come from a few diffrent source's. The RCA and battery wire trick is a good rule of thumb but that not always the problem in-fact I have worked on some systems where the rca's run right next to some large power wire and they don't have a bit of noise. Check all your ground's Make sure they are clean and well sorted. This includes the connections at the Amp's them self's Then Check and see your RCA's might be bad can you swap them out real quick. You just might have a bad one that's giving you the problem. If your power and grounds are solid and your Rca's are nice and well connected I would tend to bet it's more of a equipment problem then and install problem.

Thanks guy's, yeah it has a power sterring system, I will do a search and see if I can find that thread

I will check that basic stuff(wires) first and see what I come up with.

It's the upgraded Sony Marine System that is an option on Bennigton's site.

I will post pics as soon as we get the second bimini installed. :D

Im pretty sure your QCW I/O has the SeaStar power assist. (That's Not Power Stearing) at least that's what my QCW has.

Here's the link to the other thread . My link I believe it was a ground problem.

Don't overlook the possibility that it's a MECHANICAL vibration caused by a loose speaker or a speaker shaking something that your sound system did not previously have the power to shake.

Sea Star power assist uses a 12V motor to produce the hydraulic pressure for the assist.

Since it is not an I/O, which uses a traditional belt driven p/s pump, i mentioned it because the electric motor it uses may be causing the noise ;)

The orignal Poster sad this

So we got our Bennington 2575 QCW I/O Last week and the thing is simply amazing and FAST!!!!

So his boat is a I/O

I added an additional battery and amps, and got buzzing too. The 12v 'memory' wire (yellow) was connected to the starter battery circuit and the red (ignition) wire was running off the house battery. It gave off a horrible ground loop noise that matched the engine rpms's. I finall connected all of my accessories to the house battery, and that fixed it. My guess would be a ground isolation issue.

DJM, I think our Customer Service crew has spoken with you to help trouble-shoot. Please send TB a personal message if this is still a sore spot. Thanks...

Back