Verado Voltage Issue FYI

2550RSR

Reaction score
This past weekend I got a low voltage warning on the SmartCraft system (hooked to a 300 Verado). The power steering then went out. I switched from battery 2 to both batteries and the power steering came back. The voltage read out on my chart plotter dropped from 14.1 to 12.6 and then slowly chaged on the way back to the Marina (about 15 miles at 4500-4800 rpm's). My voltage was back to 14.1 when I got back and I was confused about what could have caused this.

Talked to the mechanic today and he said that the Verado needs constant clean voltage, and they always rig to battery 1 for this. The power steering was drawing voltage from battery 1 even though I was running on battery 2. Battery 1 was not being charged because it was isolated from the charging system and therefor lost voltage when we were running. Once I switched to both batteries, battery 1 starting charging again because it was no longer isolated.

From now on I will use battery 1 as my running battery and battery 2 as my backup. I charge every night on a tender so this will work for me. Just wanted to give a heads up in case anyone else runs into this issue. All my other boats it did not matter what battery I was running on and I used to alternate between trips. Just FYI...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info. I always run with both batteries.

Cheers, Steve

Back