Vinyl cleaning

keithkz

Reaction score
We decorated our boat for 4th of July. Problem now is that the coloring from the decorations actually came off and imprinted on to the outside of the seats in one area because of how blistering hot it got here on Saturday. The mildew cleaner I normally work did NOTHING. Is there something that would get this off without staining / ruining my seats? Please help!

Thanks,

Keith

boatstain.jpg

Try a magic eraser but put some 303 on it afterwards.

Already had tried the Magic Eraser. It did absolutely nothing.

We decorated our boat for 4th of July. Problem now is that the coloring from the decorations actually came off and imprinted on to the outside of the seats in one area because of how blistering hot it got here on Saturday. The mildew cleaner I normally work did NOTHING. Is there something that would get this off without staining / ruining my seats? Please help!

Thanks,

Keith
Hi Keith, Syntec suggests rubbing alcohol for removing ballpoint ink, perhaps that will help. Unfortunately, they also mention that some dye stains are permanent, even dead leaves can "leave" permanent stains! Mineral spirits would remove the stain, but may also remove the top coat of the fabric. If it is a tiny stain in a low-traffic area, you could try the mineral spirits and rinse thoroughly with soap and water. Good luck, patriot!

Thanks so much for the ideas. I will try both of them when I get home from work today (the alcohol first) and then post my results.

Thanks so much for the ideas. I will try both of them when I get home from work today (the alcohol first) and then post my results.
I would stay away from the mineral spirits. I used the wrong cleaner once and ruined a sundeck pad. Once the top coat is gone, the dirt and mold gets in the pores of the material and it never comes clean. For a little spot, if it does not come clean it can be touched up with a vinyl stain.

Rubbing alcohol did nothing at all. I read that peanut butter, zit cream, and hair spray are other options so I will try them next.

Maybe goof off cleaner ??

Or Simple Green .....

Rubbing alcohol did nothing at all. I read that peanut butter, zit cream, and hair spray are other options so I will try them next.
Not hair spray, it can melt the top coat

Thanks,

Keith
Keith try the Totally Awesome cleaner. I've used it on my seats as well as the carpet on my boat and vehicles.......It has taken some stains off that other cleaners couldn't touch. Try it diluted 50/50 at first then go stronger as needed. I always have a bottle standing by in our boat and at home...............

Back