VMax or not?

WahooWa

Reaction score
Our 2250 GSR with 250HP Yamaha outboard has been ordered, but still debating the final choice of power (dealer said we had a week or so to make changes).  The debate is do we go with the 20" transom and the Yamaha 250 VMax or with the 25" transom and 3.3L V6 250?  I've read a couple of posts where folks are concerned about cavitation with the 20 inch transom and excessive spray in turns.  But ... I like the idea of a larger displacement and better hole shot (for skiing) that comes with the VMax.  Opinions?

VMAX.

Welcome to the forum Wahoowa.............

Do you live on the lake?!? .........We keep our boat at Sturgeon Creek marina in the summer. Are you buying from Anna marine center?????

Daril,

We do have a place on the lake (Maple Springs), but don't live there full time (yet). Still have to work for a living up in NoVa so we can afford the toys.

And yes, buying from Anna Marine.

I love my VMax. I've never done a side by side comparison (on the lake) of the two, but I think it looked nicer on my boat, had a bigger displacement, bass boat guys loved them, and as I understand it since you have a 20" transom vs the 25" shouldn't the prop be sitting at the same depth in the water(regarding cavitation)? I had a 200 and bought the 250 the next time, so yeah I liked it.

Daril,

We do have a place on the lake (Maple Springs), but don't live there full time (yet). Still have to work for a living up in NoVa so we can afford the toys.
Looked in Maple Springs years ago. Very nice! Is it pretty much built up in there now? Plus now you have the added convenience of the Food Lion/shopping center a few minutes away and the restaurants at the bridge. We considered a place in Magnolia Harbor but decided to go a little further south.....Lake Norman.

Still a good number of lots available in Maple Springs.  They are building a new golf course community (Cutalong) on the other side of 208.  The Food Lion center is very convenient ...

Are they actually doing any building in Cutalong?????

Also have you heard of the new waterfront community that's supposed to go in on the south eastern side of the 208 bridge across the street from the Lake Anna yacht club?????

Was down at Lake Anna this weekend. They have cut down trees, moved a lot of dirt, and built the entry sign at Cutalong ... but no evidence of any permanent structure (at least not that I could see from the road). I have heard talk about the planned community across from the Lake Anna Yacht Club, but see no evidence of it yet ....

Back