Volvo Penta 6.2l overheating

Reaction score
Well our brand new Benny has an issue with overheating!
Before we took it in for the 20 hour service it would overheat from time to time when at high rpms and the evc would say to reduce rpm. Once rpm was reduced the temp would go down quickly and be ok for the rest of the day. I notified the dealership of this when we dropped off for service.
When I picked the boat up today from service I asked about the overheating issue and they said I must have had the trim too high?!
I launched the boat as soon as I got home and didn’t even make it out of the 5mph zone before it started overheating. The rpms were already low so I shut the engine off to cool down. I opened the engine cover and started the engine and the temp shot up right away and started spitting coolant out it the tank lid. The engine got up to 270 and would not stay running. I was able to limp over to a nearby dock and left the boat there for a couple hours to cool down. I will go back tonight and try to get back to the launch ramp and on the trailer. Hopefully I can get the dealership to pick up and check it out tomorrow.

Any suggestions or ideas as to what might be going on?

Is it an open or closed system? The only thing I can think of that would overheat that quickly is a bad thermostat.

Is it an open or closed system? The only thing I can think of that would overheat that quickly is a bad thermostat.

I would agree, OR a defective water pump??

If it’s a closed loop, you only have the obvious, pully turning on the pump, t-stat as stated previously or air lock or blockage. Does it only have one thermostat? I would assume you checked the raw water intake and verify that the impeller is pushing water to the heat exchanger. Maybe a stupid question but make sure they’re no valves in the system that maybe off or partially closed. Quite the bummer you got it back from the dealer that way! They obviously didn’t water test it!

I’d be on the dealers rear end this time around. You mentioned the problem. They CLEARLY didn’t water test the issue, probably overlooked checking on the issue, and then gave you a brush off response when you picked it up.

This is one of those situations where I’d be firm and clear without niceties. Is there any chance that this could have caused damage to other parts of the motor at this point? I’m not mechanically inclined or knowledgeable, but I’d be worried about that now.

The dealer came and picked the boat up at 8am this morning. Just called them for an update and apparently the water pump is defective. I guess they don’t have one and neither does their California distributor, they have to have one shipped from back east.

What issues should I look for/be concerned about in the future since the engine overheated so drastically?

Sure sorry you are experiencing this, hope the dealer makes it right.

The dealer came and picked the boat up at 8am this morning. Just called them for an update and apparently the water pump is defective. I guess they don’t have one and neither does their California distributor, they have to have one shipped from back east.

What issues should I look for/be concerned about in the future since the engine overheated so drastically?
Since you turned it off and didn't run it, I wouldn't worry about it. And if something happens, it's been documented.

Back