Water separator on Merc 4 stroke

dmctruby

Reaction score
I was looking at my "get ready to put the boat in the water list". I have a reminder to check my water separator. I purchased this 2010 2250 RCW new last year. My sales contract has written in the extra's included, one of which says "water separator". I never bothered to look for it last Spring. While doing the winter prep I ran short of day light and didn't really look very hard, thinking in the Spring this year I will get to it. I did remove the battery from the boat for winter prep and was thinking.....humm if there was a water separator installed it would be in that area.......some where between the gas tank and the motor. I recall looking at the gas line and not seeing a separator. So I went to my dealer this week (nice folks) and asked where they installed it. His reply was, I see it on the invoice, you paid for it, but I don't think due to "gas pressure" issues with with Merc 115 4 stroke one could be installed. My boat is still shrink wrapped, I plan to get to unwrapping it the next week or so. My dealer was checking into what happened (to see if they had a record of installing one).

So, does anyone with a Merc 4 stroke have a water separator installed, if so where is it ?

i have 1 on my 2012 20sl and it is installed behind the bat. right under where the gas goes in and i have a 60 hp bf merc.

I put one on the stern rail, just above the motor pod. I checked with my dealer and they checked with Mercury who said my warranty would be fine if I took out the low pressure filter. It's the first one in the line just inside the cowling.

Here's the one I got from West Marine (the one on the left):

108664.jpg

I have one on mine they mounted it in the motor pod. When you change the filter any spilled gas will stay outside of the boat. It seems to work fine there.

Thank you for all the replies. I did write to Merc technical support. Here is the reply they sent (I blanked out my serial number , no need to share that)

Thank you for your email regarding our Mercury 115 horsepower Fourstroke engine, serial number *********. We appreciate this opportunity to respond to your questions.

A water separator may be installed with this engine and you will not need to remove the fuel filter. With this installation, we do encourage you to inspect the fuel system for a fuel restriction.

You may contact any authorized Mercury dealer to purchase a water separator and for assistance with the installation. If you would like assistance locating a Mercury dealer in your area, you may click on the following link, http://www.mercurymarine.com/find-a-dealer/

We hope this information is helpful. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact our office at 920-929-5040 between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, Central Standard Time.

Sincerely,

Mercury Outboard Customer Assistance

Back