Way to repel flies/gnats/midges under cover?

OBX Surf

Reaction score
Greetings fellow owners,

I have a Bennington on the Outer Banks of N.C. on the Albermarle Sound. Not there full time so when I arrive, the boat is usually filled with tons of dead flies/gnats/midges on the dashboard and under the cover. If I try to wipe them up, they smear a black streak and are a mess to clean.

Wondering if there is anything anyone uses to put under the cover that repels flying insects? Any kind of slow release repellant that could be left under the cover that would help with this?

Thanks for any advice!

Something to try.........vinegar and soap in a dish nearby so the gnats fly to it instead.
  1. The gnats get trapped in the liquid and cannot escape.
  2. Use dish soap, hand soap, or bar soap. If using bar soap, simply cut off a small piece or 2 and put it in the vinegar.

Bounce dryer sheets might work.

I have never had a problem with flies, gnats, and midges. But we have had issues with spiders. We put Bounce dryer sheets in the storage compartments and few sitting on the deck when the boat is covered. My wife told me I was crazy for doing this but we haven't seen any spiders since. I like it on the rare occasion when I am right. :)

I actually learned of this trick from this forum.

Back