What is an Adequate Dock

66cuda

Reaction score
Hey All, hope you can help us out. I did a search and didn't find an answer I was looking for but I'm sure it's been covered.

Last fall my dad picked up a 16 Bennington 21 SLX tri toon with 115 Yamaha. We know that the dock he currently has is not adequate for the boat but we are getting conflicting messages from the local dealers and what is acceptable. We're on a small inland lake in West Michigan. The current dock is a light, portable dock that sits on feet. We had planned on replacing the 4 corners with augers to strengthen the dock and tie the boat off to the dock. However the dealer that the dock is from doesn't think this will be strong enough for a boat this big. He thinks that the boat needs to be on a lift. 

what are your thoughts? Is a lift absolutely necessary or will the dock augured in be strong enough?

I think they're trying to scare you into buying a lift.

It certainly seems like they are pushing the upgrade.  I've seen some piece of crap docks in my time that didn't seem like they should be supporting themselves let alone a nice new Benni.  If it is not anchored and just sits there then a strong wind could move everything, does it get much wind?  I think augers are a good start, maybe some homemade concrete anchors to assist and lastly a couple of tethers to some pilings on shore.  For the record, all our Bennies should be on lifts but it just aint so.

You got pics of the 'Cuda

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a line of ...

We have hundreds of pontoons here on the smaller lakes (< 3000 acres) with docks that have nothing but 4 posts on augers with 10' x 3' wood section(s) on top.

The forum could probably be of more help if you could post some pictures from different angles and tell us more about local conditions.

My dock has augers that twist into the bottom of the lake. The dock legs are hooked together in a "H" shape (bolted on crosspiece) and support three 12'x4' wood sections. Water is almost 5 feet deep at end of dock so there is an angled brace/tube on the outside legs for stability. Sorry I don't have pictures of them out of the water. I'll post them if I can get them. The 400 acre lake is down in a bowl so "usually" only lighter breezes and not high winds    There is skiing and tubing though so there are waves and we don't have issues with the boat stability at the dock. I used to put it in myself (with help), but have someone who does it for me now. /monthly_2017_03/large.IMG_1392.JPG.7e4ea39c489662ea7aa3a2b8e7ea8ff2.JPG

Thank you everyone for your replies. You confirmed our suspicions but we wanted to check with people who had more experience.

for reference. Below is a picture of our dock. The far end is in about 5 feet of water, it drops off fast, one more step in and your in over your head. 

here is an overview of the lake and the pin is where the house and dock are. 

Mattb we sold the 'cuda about 6 years ago and I can't seem to find a picture of it now. It was a red 66 with the formula S package. If I can find a picture I'll post it.

Thanks, no biggie, I like the classic cars.

Wind would be your biggest problem of course. I think I would put the boat on the side the wind came from. Let it push on the dock instead of pull against it.. Used lift starting a $3000.00 might be worth it in the long run. Or spend more time on the boat than having it docked. Enjoy either way!

I grew up on a similar lake. Most everyone had their pontoons docked in this manner. Pontoons unlike vhulls handle waves and wind extremely well and I would not worry about it in the least.

Here is my very basic dock 

106713868.jpg

107175350.jpg

It works , it is not the easiest to place cover off or on.

But it is adequate

Posts with Augers 

With saying that , before I do a proper dock a U Shaped dock,,,

I personally will install a USED Boat Lift  with a motorized lift. To me if I am going to spend money for a larger dock I would rather buy the Lift 

LSV30120CP.jpg

Things take time 

Enjoy your Benny 

The Lift or Larger Dock Can Come Later 

Add The Augers , Be Sure The Dock  is Heavy enough to withstand the Pontoon and Wind load when tied down :)

My Boat SL21 w/ Yamaha F90

Thanks everyone for your replies and confirming our suspicions.

Wind on the lake shouldn't be an issue, but for small lake there are a lot of speedboats/wakeboard boats. There is actually a ski team on the lake so it's a busy lake.

Back