What to take other than the obvious

Stowaway

Reaction score
Looking for advise about what "other" items I might take on trip down the Intercostal Waterway. A buddy and I are taking his boat down in October from Annapolis to Ft Lauderdale then passage to Hopetown, Abacos. We'll be staying at marinas with access to provisions. Interested in thoughts about spare engine parts (twin 3208 CATS) or other items that would come in handy if we're stalled or run aground (for instance). All his electronic systems are redundant, he has EPIRB and dingy. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. 

Sounds like a lot of fun. I might browse some of the "great loop" sites as they're expert at this kind of trip.

That's exactly what I was going to suggest. 

The Great Loopers have a bunch of day by day blogs about their experiences--including how their boats are setup and maintenance.

Abacos looks to be about 40 miles southwest of Nassau.  You may be going across 145 miles of open water from Ft. Lauderdale/Miami.

I don't know about the weather on an average day in October--especially from Annapolis down to Florida.  You could get a beating on open sea segments of your trip.  That route would be easier in the doldrums of Summer, not when a season's trying to change over.

Last edited by a moderator:
I envy you !!!!!!!

As others stated, check out the blogs.

I bought a book called The Intracoastal Waterway Norfolk to Miami. It list every place along the way at mile marker ***.

Marinas, Restaurants, shops, bridges and bridge opening schedules, etc ......

Try to find most recent version. Great reading material.

Traveling from Fla to Bahamas you should consider security, communication equipment and the ability for crew and vessel to defend itself. Just be aware of what available law enforcement assets are available and the average response time and be prepared. Not trying to take the fun out of a pleasure trip, but I've heard to many incidents out in those open waters.

Not sure about the rest of you, but I took that last comment to mean "bring a flamethrower"!  Hehe Ebay here I come!!

I made a potato cannon that was pretty awesome back in high school. Had electronic ignition and everything. You could bring the pieces on the boat and assemble in open water. It blew out windshields so a 95lb pirate would not be a problem. Think of it as making ocean stew, a little meat, some vegetables. Come and get it sharks!!

Back