When is anti-fouling paint needed?

stanggt3

Reaction score
Hello All,

In the market for a Bennington pontoon. We plan to use this boat in freshwater 95% of the time. Maybe twice a year we will have it in saltwater for the day and then it will be taken out and cleaned/rinsed. I've done some research but haven't found any questions similar to this one.

Is the anti fouling paint required if you use it in saltwater at all, or only if it sits in saltwater for extended periods of time?

Thanks in advance...this forum has been a huge help already

Welcome Stan! We've got several members who boat in salt and will have a definitive answer for you. Good luck and post some pictures of your purchase.

If you're only going to have it in saltwater for a couple of days you don't need bottom paint.  I kept mine in saltwater for 5 years in  wet slip, and I absolutely needed it to have bottom paint.

The bottom paint is needed to slow marine growth.  In your case as described, I wouldn't bother with bottom paint.  Just take a towel and wipe down the 'toons when you're in the water, then rinse off with fresh water at the end.

Welcome to the forum.  You have made a good decision in researching Bennington.

Welcome to the forum Stan. Sounds like you've been stalking and have finally joined us. As far as your question about the paint, I wouldn't if I were you.The little bit of salt water use will not harm the boat. I've been running pontoons in the salt water at Ocean City Md. for 14 yrs.and have never painted the toons because it can actually slow the boat down. But I do keep the boat on a lift if it's not running around some where. And I will tell you,there's no negative issues that have appeared.

Back