When there's too much turbulence/drag @ stern, raise or lower motor?

goldnrod24

Reaction score
Since the installation of my Express Tube, I seem to have a lot of turbulence and drag at the stern. A buddy says my motor needs to be raised (it's in the second hole from the top) to get it out of the water being thrown by the Express Tube. His thinking is that the tube raises the bow and lowers the stern. He says the lowest cavitation plate on the drive is too far into the water flow.

Yet, boats I see at my dealer have the motors set at the top hole, hence deepest into the water.

Your thoughts?

My F150 on a 24SSLX (Express Tube) is 3/4" or one notch above the lowest point on the transom.  We are not able to see the anticavitation plate because of spraying water.  The nature of pontoons/tritoons is they simply throw out a lot of water spray.

I'm at 40 mph @ 6000 rpm's with a Reliance 15 pitch prop.  It's the numbers that tell you whether the motor height/propeller combo are right.  When my motor's down, I see no ventilation in tight turns.  When I trim it up to 3/4 on my trim gauge, I can get just a little ventilation on hard acceleration from a dead stop or in a tight fast turn and my nosecones are out of the water at cruising speeds.  That's just like I like it.

Back