Where do I send my deposit check.

Remediation

Reaction score
Lake Cumberland KY - White Oak Community Dock
We went to an upriver marina Sunday (on a beautiful sunny day), just to take a cruise. Pulling in as a "not Bennington" pulled out of the breakwater with twin 300 Merc's on it. I did not see the brand but it sure looked like 8'6" beam. Our dock association max beam is 8'6" so I can not do the 10' beam boats. I was not ready to get rid of the I/O, but I would buy a 25' 8'6" twin Bennington.

I've seen several brand "M" with twin Merc 300R V8's and 400R I6's around here, $175k or so. They're no match for salt water swells and big boat wakes in the ICW IMHO, but certainly fun lake boats. They're always one cruiser wake away from smashed bow panels. The other consideration, which I deal with on my own boat a lot, is that twins can go through fuel in a hurry so you need some capacity, 100 gal or more is good. We traveled ~110 mi one morning on the ICW last week, ~50 gallons with only V6 200's. I'm sure a pontoon hull would be less efficient as well.

We went to an upriver marina Sunday (on a beautiful sunny day), just to take a cruise. Pulling in as a "not Bennington" pulled out of the breakwater with twin 300 Merc's on it. I did not see the brand but it sure looked like 8'6" beam. Our dock association max beam is 8'6" so I can not do the 10' beam boats. I was not ready to get rid of the I/O, but I would buy a 25' 8'6" twin Bennington.
To be honest with you we loved our Benny I/O for 12 yrs! Loved the floor plan, upholstery, plush seating and the way it ran. Got our Mercury 150 outboard last year and we haven't looked back a bit! We often think of our I/O and the guy who bought it texts me with questions every now and then. Sure we see the twin outboards on our lake and they're pretty cool but we love our single outboard!!!

Yes, the M brand has twins on the 8'6" beam. A customer (dentist) I deliver to has one. I tried to talk him into a Bennington, but the 10' wide was a deal breaker for him. Wish I could get out for a rip on it, but it stays at his cottage in a neighbouring province.

That canal is not long either so it’s weird to see such a concentration in one area. Time to move over here Tom!!

The fuel burn would be a consideration. We usually don't travel more than a few miles from our dock and then to the marina. We tell all our friends that the Lake all looks the same but last year the group wanted to take a boat trip to the dam. Ronnie asked how far it was and my answer was $100 each way ( which is only half a tank). It's 42 miles each way and you fillup before you start, fillup at State dock and have a $60 lunch, go the rest of the way to the dam and fillup up back at State dock to head home before filling up at Conley Bottom before going to our dock. It's a fun trip but except for the last 10 miles where the lake get very wide, it all looks the same. Life s good when you are having this much fun!!!!!

Ronnie asked how far it was and my answer was $100 each way ( which is only half a tank). It's 42 miles each way …”
Best answer to a boat trip time and distance request ever. I starting laughing to myself when I read it.

The fuel burn would be a consideration. We usually don't travel more than a few miles from our dock and then to the marina. We tell all our friends that the Lake all looks the same but last year the group wanted to take a boat trip to the dam. Ronnie asked how far it was and my answer was $100 each way ( which is only half a tank). It's 42 miles each way and you fillup before you start, fillup at State dock and have a $60 lunch, go the rest of the way to the dam and fillup up back at State dock to head home before filling up at Conley Bottom before going to our dock. It's a fun trip but except for the last 10 miles where the lake get very wide, it all looks the same. Life s good when you are having this much fun!!!!!
I remember the first time we went to Cumberland many years ago (loved it!) renting houseboats at Grider Hill near the dam, we took our Checkmate bowrider with a 383 I/O. Can't remember the tank size but in hindsight it was small! At first we cruised it while exploring instead of towing it with the houseboat, big mistake. Once you get out there in that huge lake you realize there is no gas anywhere close. Needless to say we had to to tow it back that first time, duh.

Back