Which motor on 2275 rcw w/esp

docstart

Reaction score
Don't know if it makes much difference but have option of Verado 225 w/5.44 gearcase vs 250 w/4.8 for $1200 more. Don't need every last mph- will hole shot, efficiency etc be any different? I heard 5.44 might have more lift for a boat full of people, whatever that means! Thanks for any thoughts.

After talking to my dealer I ordered the 250 Pro with the 4.8" 1.85:1 gearcase for my 2275RCWL. They said the bigger gearcase wasn't really a benefit and supports much heavier hulls, as well as counter rotation for twins.

After talking to my dealer I ordered the 250 Pro with the 4.8" 1.85:1 gearcase for my 2275RCWL. They said the bigger gearcase wasn't really a benefit and supports much heavier hulls, as well as counter rotation for twins.
Hey Tom, so if your motor is a 1.85:1, it must have characteristics very close to my SHO with 1.75:1 wouldn't it? I just know some people have said it might not have as much torque. Just curious.

Hey Tom, so if your motor is a 1.85:1, it must have characteristics very close to my SHO with 1.75:1 wouldn't it? I just know some people have said it might not have as much torque. Just curious.
I really don't know for sure, as none of the manufacturers talk aloud about torque on their engines. The Verado powerhead is a much smaller displacement, though with benefit of a supercharger to get the low end torque it needs. I know I loved the drivability and responsiveness of both the Pro and the SHO on test drives. I wasn't worried much about the big number.

Merc offers a variety of gearcase versions 4.8" 1.85:1, 5.4" 1.85:1, and the 5.4" HD 1.75:1, which actually has a bigger propshaft and heavier gears. The 5.4" are for heavier boats, offshore conditions, to get more lift. I think they use it exclusively on the 350SCi. They usually recommend the smaller gearcase for lighter boats like bass and flats boats, which a 2275 would be considered to be. For that reason, the "Pro" versions are considered competitive with the SHO of others. The SHO is considerably lighter though, so definitely at an advantage there.

Back