winter storage

Four R's

Reaction score
I am storing my boat for the winter for the first time.  Just wondering what you guys do in addition to the normal winter maintenance.  The engine was serviced, various things were lubricated and the shrink wrap is on.  Does anyone suggest covering the engine under the shrink wrap (the plastic goes over the prop) but there is lots of space for the wind and snow to get under the plastic.  Also, should I wrap the electrical connections that are totally exposed under the boat?  For the hell of it I checked the bolts under the boat and most needed a 1/4 turn or more.  I guess the bouncing around on the bay loosens things up a bit?

Thanks for any advice you can share!

Four R's

I have my boat in a boathouse hanging out of the water.  I just put my mooring cover on, and keep the tank full with 100% gasoline, RingFree Plus and StaBil.  That's about it.  If I had put very many hours on the motor this Summer, I would have changed the lower unit lube.

I don't worry about cleaning my boat, as it'll be dirty in April when I get it out.  That's when I do Spring cleaning.

If I was very enterprising, I'd leave the electricity on to the dock, and keep the battery on a Battery Tender.  But I keep the juice turned off for security reasons.

There may be some other good cruising days in the coming month--leaf looking.  Hopefully we'll have some more 60 degree calm days ahead.

Back