Yamaha sort of rough shifting into gear.

Noah Genda

Reaction score
I am very familiar with mercury, outboards, and the accompanying shifting. It’s very smooth, without any hint of “grinding“ gears. On my new/old boat, my technician told me that Yamaha “grinding” was commonplace. Seems odd, but I’m not a mechanic. Any thoughts? Thanks

I think you need a new mechanic.

Firstly you have to separate digital vs mechanical outboards - digital ones are generally very smooth since the shift actuator works very quickly as soon as you put into gear. Both Mercs and Yamahas are grind-free unless something is out of adjustment.

On mechanically shifting outboards if you slowwwwly put the drive into gear you'll hear the clutch dogs drag on the drive gears and give that grinding noise. If the shifter is out of adjustment it may do so even on a fairly quick shift. I've heard bad ones on both manufacturers and is just inherent to the design.

Perhaps the mechanic is suggesting old mechanical Yamahas fall out of spec or adjustment more frequently? Or, does he have a giant Brunswick/Mercury dealer banner over his shop workbench?? ;)

My guess, based on my previous Mercury, it is not digital. My mechanic is an independent and works on almost everything. Certainly the Bennington dealer in Indianapolis, I would guess, is almost exclusively Merc.

I don’t necessarily think my Yamaha is out of spec. It falls in line with your previous description. But I think I should watch it closely. Thanks for all your input.

I do miss the Merc shifting.

TR

Check with Yamaha .

Back