Yearly Maintenance F150

Bamaman

Reaction score
I got my 2 year old 24SSLX out of the boathouse and on the trailer yesterday in order to do my yearly maintenance. 

With 40 engine hours, I only put 20 hours on it last year.  Nevertheless, I'm still changing the lower unit grease and switching over to Mobil 1 EP--a superior motor oil.

The local Yamaha outboard dealer's partsman didn't know that a F150 was a Yamaha product.  I had to point on the computer parts microfiche where the lower unit plug gaskets and a crankcase crush washer were.  His price on a Yamaha oil filter--69J-13440-00-00 was ridiculous.

I went to Fram.com to cross reference the Yamaha oil filter, however the cross reference numbers are inaccurate.

The oil filter for a Yamaha F150 is the same as the 2014 Focus 2.0 engine--a Motorcraft FL910 or Fram PH3614.  That'll save you $10 anyway.

I'll clean the seats, vacuum the inside and polish the toons with White Diamond metal polish this afternoon.  My Porter Cable dual action polisher with a wool bonnet makes polishing an easy chore.  Hopefully I'll have it back in the water this afternoon--if I can get motivated and if it's not too hot outside.

The Yamaha 4 strokes are really easy and inexpensive to do yearly maintenance on.  I still have a hard time paying any dealer $300-400 to do a job I can complete in 1/2 hour--not including putting it on the trailer.

Like everything in life, the more you are able to do yourself, the less you will be disappointed in others falling short of your expectations.

I have always thought that this service should be done in the fall. That way if you happen to have water in your gearcase this prevents freeze damage & gives you all winter to get seal changed.

Also, don't forget the fuel stabilizer!

It's nice to have everything done so in the spring you simply connect the battery & go!

Bill:  You're right about Fall being the best time to change oil and lower unit grease.  I just do things as I have time to do it.  The oil and l/u grease looked like new @ 20 hrs. usage.

I was polishing my toons today with my Porter Cable dual action polisher.  Snapped off the bolt holding the hook and loop disc on the polisher.  I've got to order a $45 part (+ $10 postage) to get it back running.  I may get a $39 Harbor Freight rotary polisher in the meantime as a backup.

Polishing toons is a really dirty, grimy project.  Took me 1 hr. to do the first toon.

Back