12V outlet killing USB outlets

TI Guy

Reaction score
I have purchased a few USB power supplies that plug into a 12 volt outlet (cigarette lighter hole) to power my iPhone 5. As soon as I plug them in, the unit blows up. The first two I thought were a fluke, as I first tested the outlet to make sure it was producing 12 volts. It was indeed producing 12 volts, 14.5 volts with the engine running. The last one I bought from VIP auto parts (Now O'Riley) actually made a flash of light as I plugged it in. I'm now afraid to try any more till I get the problem solved. To make sure it wasn't the socket, I have used a spotlight with 12 volt adapter in it, and it works just fine. I'm guessing that the problem is that I'm exceeding the maximum input voltage for the USB adapter, but they don't mention what that may be on the packaging. FYI, it's a 2009 2275 RLi with a Yamaha 200 hp. single 12 volt battery system.

Sounds like positive and negative are reversed in which case the light would work just fine.

I was just going to say the same thing. It's my best guess.

My hat's off to you both. I checked the polarity, and the center was Negative and the Outer Positive... Just the opposite of what it was supposed to be. I don't have another USB power supply to check it out, but will let you know if it works after changing the polarity. While waiting for replies, I found this on another website: Because of poor design techniques, much of the electronic gear brought into the marketplace over the past several years can be severely damaged by reverse polarity. Here's the rest of the story for those that may be interested: http://www.sto-p.com/pfp/pfp-reversepolarity.htm.

At least you did not kill your iPhone 5, that would have been an expensive lesson........

Follow-Up Reversed polarity WAS the problem. I switched the positive and negative wires on the back of the 12 supply (cigarette lighter) and no more problems. Thanks for the help.

I guess I'll have to check this on mine when I get it.

Did you advise Bennington? I would think they would replace the damaged USBs   for you since they were the one who installed the 12v plug incorrectly.Also I would think they would issue an advisory to current owners to check  on this problem to prevent any further damage to equipment.

My dealer is letting me prep my boat so I'll be sure to take a close look at the little things like this as i put it together. thanks guys for all the great info.

Back