2012 2275GCW & Yama 115 4 stroke

JCinNC

Reaction score
Something just isn't right on the speed with the boat. 18-20mph WOT just seems too slow for the engine/boat combo. 2 adults, maybe 3.

I've always owned wakeboard boats so the outboard and prop setup are foreign to me.

Any advice or is the speed right?

Novice here, but I'm running a 90HP on a 22 SSX and have capped out at 28.2 on a glass top day with no wind and just me and the bride...

On a typical day 23 - 25 can be achived...

I'd say your 18 -20 is off...

TT

Need specs. Rpm at wot, current prop size etc. Then we can point ya in the direction.

I can go out an run it and get the RPM this morning. How do I check the prop size? As I said, clueless on outboards!

Thanks in advance for the help.

The prop should have numbers stamped on it. They should be on the hub.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 2013 2275 GS with triple tube and 115 Yamaha. I have been disappointed with my 26 mph performance. I would be depressed with 18-20 mph, would probably just sink it and buy new lol.

Salesman told me during the sales deal I would get 30-35 mph. When I revisited the manufacturer (Yamaha Performance Bulletin) sheet, it said at 5850 rpm it should get 32.7 mph. This is with 2 people, polished stainless steel prop with a 14X 13 Pontoon Performance series prop. That is not what came with my boat. That part number is: MAR-PNTN3-V4-13. I am shopping for one now.

my 22 sslx with 2 25" toons and 4 strakes will do 34mph with two adults, one dog and f115. Add some weight, and that is another story.

Got out on the water tonight and got the numbers

20mph (speedometer and GPS confirmed)

5200 RPM WOT

Prop K13 - stainless steel (3 blade)

My old 2575 R had a Honda 115 with 2-25" tubes. Not quite touched 30 mph. It was a heavier boat than yours. Gerry

Anyone have any ideas on the prop and why we're only getting up to 5200 rpm wot?

Do you store your boat in the water most of the time? If so, your tubes may have algae on them. This has been discussed many times on the forum, so you could look for more comments about that. It can drastically cut speed.

Our new 2275GS tri toon with a Yamha 115 has hit 25mph (gps) but that was with the top opened on a rough lake. Table Rock Lake ( 45k-50k acres). On recent outing we could only get about 22 mph. (2 adults,dog) We are still under our new 10 hour break in period and will continue to test with the top down after the 10 hour period. We really did not buy the boat for speed more for fishing and just cruising.

stan

Do you store your boat in the water most of the time? If so, your tubes may have algae on them. This has been discussed many times on the forum, so you could look for more comments about that. It can drastically cut speed.
We do store our boat on the lake but the speed has been the same since it went in brand new.

Our boat was cleaned and wrapped over the winter so the toon cleanliness, which I'm sure impacts speed, isn't the issue on this one. Also, I do not think toon cleanliness impacts the RPM on the motor which is only reaching 5200 WOT.

Any ideas on the RPM at WOT?

Can you make sure the tach is setting according to your correct motor and type. There is a switch behind there., Maybe its set wrong and you aren't turnning that many RPM's. Call you dealer and ask what setting it should be on. I wanna says its like 2 4 or 6 or something like that.

what about toon specs? I know you say they are clean. Are they twin 25 inch tubes, triple tubes? Lifting strakes, under deck wave shield etc? Without any of those, you will loose lots of speed. Maybe I just missed it, but I didn't see that info above?

Todd

Thanks Todd I'll call tomorrow.

We have 25" toons no wave shield and no lifting strakes.

I have a 2013, 2275 GCW with a Merc 115 4S with a Merc Spitfire Prop 13P, Express Package and Lifting Strakes on all three logs. I am running at 5100 ft elevation and was told to expect less performance from the motor. New with clean logs, three people aboard, fuel at half, I get good acceleration and 28MPH at 5800 WOT with little chop. The boat has lost about 2 MPH since May sitting at my dock in the lake.

I hope this helps.

I have a 2010 24 SFI.  Yamaha 115. Bought it used with 28hrs on motor, came with a three blade, aluminum, standard prop. No mickey mouse ears for blades.. it was swinging a 14x17.   Got 22-23 miles per hour with four adults, fishing gear, ice , livewells full etc.  Throttle would hit 5400.  Swithced to a Yamaha Stainless Steel prop designed for pontoons, Mickey Mouse 3 blade.  14X15. I expected higher RPM's.. no go.  It dropped the RPM's to 4700 WOT but still hitting around 22-23 mph.. same load.   Tried a 3rd prop.  Mercury QuickSilver Nemesis 14X13.   Hitting 5600 RPM,  25-27 MPH same load.  This prop bites good. Takes off well from a sit still and has increased my top speed..   Give it a try.

Something just isn't right on the speed with the boat. 18-20mph WOT just seems too slow for the engine/boat combo. 2 adults, maybe 3.

I've always owned wakeboard boats so the outboard and prop setup are foreign to me.

Any advice or is the speed right?
I have the same exact boat and engine and I have gone as fast as 32MPH  with 2 adults.  My boat has 32" elipticals with lifting strakes.  If you have these also, there seems to be a problem for sure.  

Back