2013 2275 RLCP w/115 4 stroke prop help.

obsesd

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to the forums, just bought a 2013 2275 RLCP W/115 Merc 4 stroke with express performance package and wave tamer. Went out with 8 people and could only get 15 mph (gauge), 20 mph with 2 people. Max rpms 4900 with both, prop is a 15P didn't have a diameter. Also had what I believe was blowout when running with 2 people trying to run wot. Any suggestions on a starting prop size, and what speed to expect. Thanks in advance for any help.

-Jason

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a 2 tube RCW with a 115hp. I'm running a 13p prop and run 22-29mph depending on load.

With 2 people onboard, I'd expect 25-27 mph on your setup, turning 6k-6400rpms.

You don't mention much about your blowout. I'd imagine you'd want your motor mounted as low as you can and switch your prop to a merc. Spitfire pontoon 13p prop. That should solve your problem.

Agree with Spinzone.  I have a 2012 RL with a Yamaha 115.  When toon are sparkling clean I get 27mph at wot with 2 people on board.  Towards the end of the year I was only getting 23 WOT with two on board.  My RPM only gets up to 54 - 5600 with my 13.5 x 15 aluminum prop

Sorry I'm new to the blowout thing... The motor is mounted on the top holes, it has 100 hours, seemed kinda loud when running too. I had a small bass boat with a 2 stroke 50 Yam and the 115 may have been louder? Not sure if that's normal, it's my first 4 stroke. After we dropped off 6 of the passengers my buddy and I were heading back to put her on the trailer, gave full throttle and it ran at 20mph at 4900-5000rpm for a few seconds and then rev'd up and stopped, or lost momentum or something. Did it again when I tried to go WOT. The water wasn't too choppy, had light gear and half tank of fuel maybe 15-20 gallons

@spitfire  you mentioned pontoon 13P, what diameter would you recommend? I will be mostly going out with 3 people but every month or so I'll go out with 6-8 people

@Link   Do you have 2 or 3 tubes? Would having the center tube require a different prop 

I would be happy with 27 mph and if it were lower that would be cool too. Didn't buy it for speed, I just want it to run like it should. Dealer said they'll change props, move motor if necessary until it runs the way I expect. 

Sorry obsesd, I should have included that info; I have 2 toons but next year will have three as I have recently ordered the express toon kit with the underdeck wave shield.

Surprised you said your Yamaha is loud, I consider mine to be very quiet. When idling it is so quiet that once I started to walk away thinking it was off. Cruising speed for me is rather slow at 8 - 15 mph and still you hardly hear it. At WOT of course you can hear it but it is not deafening. Perhaps you could get a test ride from your dealer or fiend that has a 115 for comparison.

Thanks Link that's a great idea. I think I'll head to the marina this weekend and see if I can get a ride in a similar boat with a 115, that will definitely give me a good base. I'm still kinda up in the air about the prop. I see they make pontoon specific props, do you know if there are specific props for tritoons or if it really makes a difference?

Those rpms are too low and your lugging the motor. I had a two toon 22' S with yamaha 115 & lifting strakes and could do about 35-36. Granted the boat was shorter than yours and lighter but I'm highlighting the importance of getting your motor in the right rpm range. In this video you can see I was at almost 6200 rpm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0CzCSx6Siw

Here is the prop I'd recommend. Your blowout story certainly sounds as though you were trimmed too high or you motor needs to be lowered.

SpitFire® Mercalloy 4 13.8 dia. 13p RH 8M8026570 part num.

The mercury 4stroke 115hp is a quiet motor. Maybe just a db louder than the yamaha 4stroke. Your motor is set to turn 6k-6400 rpms when propped correctly and unquestionably should be reprop to achieve that RPM range.

I would be happy with 27 mph and if it were lower that would be cool too. Didn't buy it for speed, I just want it to run like it should. Dealer said they'll change props, move motor if necessary until it runs the way I expect. 
It's nice to hear your dealer is committed to dialing this thing in to make it right.  That's a very good thing.  It just might take a little experimentation to get the right prop size and mounting height, but it will be worth it to get the combination optimized for your use.

Hey everyone, thank you for the reply's and information.Sorry for the late reply, I was out of town for a week then I had to wait a week to get the new prop put on.

@ Spinzone   I ended up getting a Merc Spitfire 13p 4 blade aluminum, not sure of the dia yetdealer put it on and kept the box. I'll check it tomorrow.

It definitely helped but I think she's got a little more in her. I was running 26.5 mph GPS @5900-6000 RPMs, half tank of fuel, two people and two dogs, moderate gear. I also noticed it had lifting strakes on the center tube, I don't remember seeing them on the outer tubes. It has the wave shield underneath but it starts at about 2 feet from the front. I originally had a 3 blade 15p prop but by RPMs it looks like I could go up at least one more pitch if not two. Would having the 4 blade make that much of a difference? Would obtaining 400 more RPMs make that much of a difference, or should I just stick with what I've got? It also seems that the motor is low in the water. Does anyone have pics of the motor in the water, running too if possible, or how should it measure up in reference to the boat? My cavitation plate seems pretty deep although I didn't have a chance to measure it.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Cavatation plate should be level with the surface when running.

I had a spitfire on a Merc 115 on my S and got 30 mph. I would say you are dialed in with the extra weight of your R.

You could try a lower pitch and gain some rpms, but my guess it's you would actually lose speed.

I would rather have my motor a bit low in the water. I don't have much trim range before it ventilates, and I'd rather have more trim. How much more drag can an inch of motor shaft that's already extremely aerodynamic cause? On the other hand, having the right trim greatly affects your speed and efficiency.

Sure, you want the motor as high as possible, but not so high to have a negative impact on trim range. My $0.02.

By the way, my cav plate is probably a foot under the surface at rest. You can't go by that. Like Carl said, you have to look while running. Tape a camcorder to your boat hook or broomstick to help you see what's going on.

You are running in the RPM sweet spot for the Merc 115 with the new prop. With your typical load, your year motor is optimized when it maxes out between 5800 and 6400RPM. I find that my top end peaks at 5500 anyway.

I think you are about to drive yourself into the craziness and financial challenge that ensues when one gets caught up in trying to squeeze out an extra MPH from their set up. These R series boats are SUPER nice. With that quality comes some hefty weight. From here I'd tell you that you have two options to think your boat is perfect:

1. Save your nickels and upgrade to the largest hp motor your boat is rated for (probably 150hp). This step will make a world of speed difference.

2. Learn to enjoy the experience of being fortunate enough to be on the water in one of the most envied pontoons on the market. I'm still coming to grips with it.

You are running in the RPM sweet spot for the Merc 115 with the new prop. With your typical load, your year motor is optimized when it maxes out between 5800 and 6400RPM. I find that my top end peaks at 5500 anyway.

I think you are about to drive yourself into the craziness and financial challenge that ensues when one gets caught up in trying to squeeze out an extra MPH from their set up. These R series boats are SUPER nice. With that quality comes some hefty weight. From here I'd tell you that you have two options to think your boat is perfect:

1. Save your nickels and upgrade to the largest hp motor your boat is rated for (probably 150hp). This step will make a world of speed difference.

2. Learn to enjoy the experience of being fortunate enough to be on the water in one of the most envied pontoons on the market. I'm still coming to grips with it.
^^^^^^ Truth. That is all.

You could always buy a 2013 black gcw with a 250 sho

Back