2015 Newbie Questions

MCSD12

Reaction score
I am brand new to boating this season and I have been reading tons from this forum but I still have a few questions I need help with.

1. how do you attach ski rope or towable rope to ski pylons on centerline of boat? (I read not to use u-bolts on frame)
  2. What do you use for navigation after dark? I was considering a Q-Beam spotlight.
  3. I noticed a few pics of a front exit plank for when you are beached. Is that worthwhile?
  4. Want to add American flag to boat either on stern swim platform or on bimini light. Will those hold up to speeds or do you have to remove when underway?
  5. What size anchor should I have for a 2575 I/O? I saw a post about the box type anchor that looked very appealing.

Welcome. The box anchor pretty much wins out in the popularity contest <I think. If you have the ski pylon, which we do, I just drop the loop end of the rope down over the knob on top of the pylon and have never had it pull off. A good handheld spotlight is a must after dark. I would think the Q beam would be a good purchase. I do not have the front plank but several owners do and perhaps will chime in. I don't currently have a flag but do plan to get one. Several of the guys and gals have clip on's on the anchor light and mounted on the aft platform. They both work and look very good.

Again welcome to the greatest forum on the net.

David

re: after dark

Something we do if we're going to go someplace and get back to the dock after dark.  Use a GPS tracking application when we leave... then when getting ready to head home you can just follow your earlier track from when you left the dock back to the dock.  If you're familiar with where you're going to be boating no big deal but we've used it to follow our way back down river keeping safely in the middle or taking the correct turn around this or that island to get back home.

Ok Thank you I did Google it after I asked the question. So you would use it on a lake that was more choppy.

Ok Thank you I did Google it after I asked the question. So you would use it on a lake that was more choppy.
I forgot to mention but I am boating on the Lake of the Ozarks and it is known for its rough water due to many large boats. Bennington actually makes a rough water package based on abuse seen at this lake. The dealer told me that 90% of damaged pontoons that Bennington gets back for warranty come from this lake.

I use 2 ,Small on the bow ,baby on the stern to stop the sway 

I am brand new to boating this season and I have been reading tons from this forum but I still have a few questions I need help with.

1. how do you attach ski rope or towable rope to ski pylons on centerline of boat? (I read not to use u-bolts on frame)
  2. What do you use for navigation after dark? I was considering a Q-Beam spotlight.
  3. I noticed a few pics of a front exit plank for when you are beached. Is that worthwhile?
  4. Want to add American flag to boat either on stern swim platform or on bimini light. Will those hold up to speeds or do you have to remove when underway?
  5. What size anchor should I have for a 2575 I/O? I saw a post about the box type anchor that looked very appealing.
It's important that you have the rope setup so when tension is applied, it get's tighter around the pylon or ski eye.  Pretty easy to do, but pretty easy to also not do.

Here is a video I just looked for instead of describing how to do via word   :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWHl-sStby4

MCSD12

"I forgot to mention but I am boating on the Lake of the Ozarks and it is known for its rough water due to many large boats. Bennington actually makes a rough water package based on abuse seen at this lake. The dealer told me that 90% of damaged pontoons that Bennington gets back for warranty come from this lake."

Lake of The Ozarks with its 55,000 acres of pristine water and 1150 miles of shoreline is without question amazing

But after viewing videos of the lake and its high speed and high priced toys

All I can say is WOW

DSC_7248-L.jpg

One of these is nice but a lake of them OMG !

The go fast boats sneak up on you quickly, but, it's the Big ass cabin cruisers and a narrow main that gives the lil guys no chance but to dive from cove to cove. Not uncommon to see jet skis jumping wakes and split the hulls. The wakes are HUGE!

Sounds like the rest has been covered, but I'll chime in on the plank. I beach my boat a lot while camping out of it and the ramp is priceless. I searched high and low for the perfect one and ended up with this one from Amazon (also available from discountramps.com). Not only is it nice for walking on and off the boat, but it often covers the gap between the muddy shoreline and dry ground, keeping the boat cleaner. I've walked full 120qt coolers up and down it with two huge dudes and the weight it his sturdy as can be. If you spend a lot of time beached, I think it's a must have. 

IMG_1917.JPG

I actually set some of these out last night. Costco had a 4 pack for $20 bucks. I set them out to charge yesterday morning, set them on the seawall and they ran through the entire night. I only set 4 out to see how they would do so I'll have to open the other box and get them fastened now where I want them. They put off a ton of light too. And I like how the crisp light from the LED's
8E33731F-DDD6-4916-B14B-B16626F9EB32_zpsmeva6ov5.jpg

Mine were $5 a piece and look exactly like those in the homedepot link.

Sounds like the rest has been covered, but I'll chime in on the plank. I beach my boat a lot while camping out of it and the ramp is priceless. I searched high and low for the perfect one and ended up with this one from Amazon (also available from discountramps.com). Not only is it nice for walking on and off the boat, but it often covers the gap between the muddy shoreline and dry ground, keeping the boat cleaner. I've walked full 120qt coolers up and down it with two huge dudes and the weight it his sturdy as can be. If you spend a lot of time beached, I think it's a must have. 

IMG_1917.JPG
Where do you store the ramp when you are under way

The go fast boats sneak up on you quickly, but, it's the Big ass cabin cruisers and a narrow main that gives the lil guys no chance but to dive from cove to cove. Not uncommon to see jet skis jumping wakes and split the hulls. The wakes are HUGE!
I have to agree with your comment about the HUGE wakes. I was out a few weeks ago for my first full day on the lake and came upon a huge cruiser that was flying down the lake. It was leaving behind a 4ft. wake... It was a harrowing experience although I have to brag that the Bennington didn't take any water over the bow.

Back