2015 Yamaha 115LB problem

Dan S

Reaction score
Just received a recall from Yamaha regarding throttle body and harness issues on all 2015 115 LB's and that a malfunction is likely to make the motor inoperable. Thanks Yamaha. 1.5 hours on the boat and you want me to pull it out of the water. I talked to dealer today and they're uncertain how repairs will take place. It sounds to me like something from the throttle body may cause an electrical problem. Sorry but I don't have the recall letter in front of me right now.. Does anyone no anything about this? If it's simple I'll fix it myself. I violated my rule of never purchasing a new version of anything. A Merc or Honda are looking pretty good righ now. Just venting

Your full of good news aren't you? Now I gotta ask the dealer when I stop by this morning to pick up the registration and trailer tag on my 1 week old boat! Oh well, it happens.

I'm looking at my recall notice now. "The throttle body stay may break due to engine vibration and as a result the harness may lose its continuity to ground causing the engine to stop or be unable to run." I hope this helps

The Yamaha phone number on the recall is 1-866-894-1626. I'm going to try and get them to fix at my dock as I haven't purchased a trailer yet. The dealer delivered the boat and launched for us.

Run a separate ground until they fix it maybe?

Hose clamps come to mind for attaching a wire. It's a little macgiver, but might keep a dent out of your boating season.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to take a look when we get to the cabin. I agree with you Kaydano. Macgiver it.

Or tape up the part before it breaks, maybe giving it a little support until you get it fixed...

The Yamaha phone number on the recall is 1-866-894-1626. I'm going to try and get them to fix at my dock as I haven't purchased a trailer yet. The dealer delivered the boat and launched for us.
I am no insurance person, but would a "Loss of use" claim against the insurance company of Bennington / Yamaha work?   I have never done one, but I am considering one now as I still don't have my warranty work completed that was suppose to be done starting in Oct 2014 through the winter months. 

I don't think you ever want to get legal on something like this. It would cost more than it's worth. It will probably be fixed before any legal proceedings come to a conclusion. I'm going to see if they'll come out to fix it as I don't have a trailer yet. I'll probably call Yamaha on Monday and perhaps Bennington.

Not against Bennington .You had a choice of motor manufacturers .

Last edited by a moderator:
It's only certain runs of the f-115b that are subject to the recall. Talked to my dealer this morning (who I trust. They're fantastic!) the already have the parts in for the recall and said I will hear from Yamaha soon if my engine is subject to the recall.

Of course it's not Bennington's fault. My only thought is that Bennington and Yamaha are pretty tight and perhaps Bennington could apply some polite pressure on Yamaha so that everyone who's affected by this recall don't have to pull their Bennington/boat out of the water. Perhaps Yamaha could cover the cost, in each region, of someone going out to fix the problem at the customers dock. It might even cost them less and be quicker since it would be someone dedicated to doing nothing but that on a daily basis.

Anyway, I'm going to take a look at it in a few days and perhaps I can fix it myself with some zip ties or? We'll see.

Just spoke with the service manager at Miller Marine and they're going to try and work it out so they can pull our boat in at the same time they replace a defective seat back and relocate the battery(should have been done pre-delivery) and also do the recall work on the throttle body. He said it can't be done at dock side. It involves installing a new throttle body bracket. Yamaha believes the current one is prone to cracking and breaking - too thin. It's about a 3.5 hour one way trip for Miller Marine to do this. I'm sure Yamaha/Bennington will somehow cover it as each of them have a warranty issue to correct. Anyway, it should turn out to be a relatively painless solution. They said it should be about a 3 day turnaround. I will probably time with my first oil changed after break-in. Would that be at about 15-20 hours? BTW, 45 degrees in Mpls. A few days before Memorial Day weekend. Will summer ever come?

Dan

Back